This Hashbrown Casserole Recipe is a cheesy potato side dish that comes together so easily! Hashbrown Casserole is perfect for breakfast and the holidays and is always a favorite!
Hashbrown Casserole Recipe
I have to admit I’m in love with Hashbrown Casserole. This hashbrown casserole. I mean, what’s not to love?! Cheesy deliciousness, hashbrowns, and this creamy sauce make for one perfect dish. Think loaded baked potatoes meets creamy, crunchy hashbrowns! It comes together so quickly and is super easy to make. It makes the perfect easy side dish for serving for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter and Sunday suppers!
Many of you have eaten a version of this at some point in your lives, either at a restaurant like Cracker Barrel, at a family meal, or even at a pot luck. It is definitely a timeless classic that everybody loves. This recipe is my favorite of all the ones I have ever tried. My family certainly loves this one too and I am happy to make it for them
I love that this hashbrown casserole recipe comes together so quickly with less than 10 ingredients, can be mixed together and stored in the refrigerator ahead of time to make entertaining even easier, and is always a crowd favorite!
How to Make Hashbrown Casserole
To make this recipe, you’ll need a few simple ingredients:
- Frozen Diced or Shredded Potatoes – You can use whichever style you prefer.
- Cheddar Cheese – I love to shred the cheese directly from the block since some shredded cheeses are coated with ingredients to prevent them from sticking.
- Cream of Chicken Soup – I love to use my easy homemade recipe, but you can use store-bought if you prefer
- Sour Cream – it adds so much flavor and creaminess to this casserole
- Butter – melted butter is mixed into this casserole
- Green Onions – it adds color, crunch and flavor to the casserole
- Stone House Seasoning – my favorite house seasoning that I use in so many dishes. If you don’t have it already on hand, I highly recommend it. You can also use 1 teaspoon of kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder.
To make this casserole simply add all of the ingredients, saving a little bit of cheese to sprinkle on top during baking, to a large mixing bowl and stir it well until all of the ingredients are combined. Then, I spread it into a 9×13 baking dish and refrigerate up to 3 days before baking.
Then, when I’m ready to bake, I preheat the oven and bake it until the potatoes are fork tender, about 30 minutes and add the remaining cheese.
Once the cheese melts, this deliciousness is ready for serving!
Make Ahead Instructions
This is perfect for serving at holiday gatherings or weekend brunch because it’s so easy to make ahead! You simply prepare your hashbrown casserole without baking it, cover tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When ready to serve, bake as directed, serve and enjoy.
Freezer Friendly Instructions
You can freeze this for later too! Just prepare the hashbrown casserole without baking, store in an airtight, freezer-safe container and keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then bake as directed and serve.
Here’s my Hashbrown Casserole Recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does!
Hashbrown Casserole Recipe
- 2 pounds frozen diced or shredded potatoes
- 3 cups cheddar cheese grated
- 1 1/2 cups homemade cream of chicken soup or 1 10-ounce can storebought
- 2 cups sour cream
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 bunch green onions sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 400º F. Lightly butter a 9×13 baking dish or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Stir together the diced potatoes, half of the cheddar cheese, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, melted butter, onion, salt, pepper, and garlic in a large mixing bowl. Spread into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake until the potatoes are fork tender, about 30 minutes and then top the hashbrown casserole with the remaining cheddar cheese. Return the hashbrown casserole to the oven until the cheese has melted.
- Serve warm.
Prepare hashbrown casserole without baking, cover tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To serve, bake as directed and serve. Freezer Friendly:
Prepare hashbrown casserole without baking, store in an airtight, freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then bake as directed and serve.