Broccoli Cheese Casserole makes a delicious side dish. This updated broccoli cheese casserole recipe is made from scratch and is a family favorite!
So simple to prepare, my broccoli cheese casserole is made from scratch and is an updated version of that old favorite from my childhood that included cans of cream soup. While there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that, I decided a while back to update the recipe to make my own creamy, cheesy sauce for my broccoli cheese casserole and have never looked back.
Broccoli Cheese Casserole Recipe
I think once you try it, you won’t look back either.
This broccoli cheese casserole works well as a side dish for so many delicious menus. From Thanksgiving, Christmas, family reunions, to Sunday suppers, broccoli cheese casserole is one of those dishes that just immediately comforts. Well, at least it does for me.
How to Make Broccoli Cheese Casserole
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Add the broccoli florets to a large heavy-bottomed stockpot of boiling water and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Drain the cooked broccoli from the water and set aside.
Then melt butter over medium heat in a small saucepan. Whisk in flour until it’s well-combined. Then whisk in milk, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and 1 cup of Monterrey Jack cheese. Reduce heat to simmer and continue to whisk until the sauce simmers slightly around the edges and has thickened slightly. Then stir in sour cream.
Arrange the broccoli in a casserole dish. Then pour the cream sauce over the broccoli. Next, top with cheddar cheese and crushed crackers.
Bake uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes. Then serve warm and enjoy!
Make Ahead Broccoli Casserole
This recipe easily fills a 13×9 casserole dish for company or a large family meal. But if you’d like to make it on a smaller scale, I recommend pouring it into two smaller casserole dishes and freezing one while preparing the other. In other words, just half it so that you have one to enjoy now and one to enjoy later.
Or you can make the entire recipe ahead to save time later.
Prepare broccoli cheese casserole without baking up to one week in advance and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or 3 months in advance in the freezer. Hold the cheese and cracker topping and wait to add until just right before you plan to bake it. Thaw in refrigerator in advance, add the cheese and cracker topping and bake. Serve the casserole warm and enjoy!
Here’s my Broccoli Cheese Casserole recipe. I think you’ll love it.
Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- 3 heads broccoli cut into florets (about 8 cups)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk or heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black or white pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup grated Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 2 cups crushed buttery crackers
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray a 13 x 9 - inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add broccoli florets to a large heavy-bottomed stockpot of boiling water. Cook for 3-5 minutes and then drain broccoli from the water. Set aside.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a small saucepan. Whisk in flour until well-combined, then whisk in milk, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and 1 cup of Monterrey Jack cheese. Reduce heat to simmer and continue to whisk until sauce simmers slightly around the edges and has thickened slightly. Stir in sour cream.
- Arrange broccoli in casserole dish and then pour cream sauce over broccoli. Top with cheddar cheese and crushed crackers.
- Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Love ya to pieces,