Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo Recipe
This Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo makes a delicious, quick and easy gumbo recipe! Ready in less than 30 minutes, this gumbo is great for weeknights and weekends!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time22 mins
Total Time27 mins
Servings: 4 - 6
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper deseeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 celery stalk cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound andouille or smoked sausage halved lengthwise and sliced into 1/2 inch thick pieces
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 pound shelled and deveined medium shrimp
- 1 green onion thinly sliced
Add the olive oil to a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Stir in the bell pepper, onion, celery, garlic, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently until the onion is just tender, about 2 minutes. Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the flour on top of the sausage and vegetables and stir until well coated. Cook until the flour coating on the vegetables has turned lightly brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in the chicken stock and thyme and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Add the shrimp and onion and cook until the shrimp has turned opaque and pink about 3 minutes.
Calories: 493kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 341mg | Sodium: 2317mg | Potassium: 612mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1060IU | Vitamin C: 47.4mg | Calcium: 188mg | Iron: 4.1mg