Easy Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo Recipe
This Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo makes a delicious, quick and easy gumbo recipe! Ready in less than 30 minutes, this gumbo is great for weeknights and weekends!
I love having tried and true recipes to turn to for quick and easy weeknight suppers. Even better is when those are the recipes that I can also rely on when we have friends and family for supper on the weekends. This Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo is one of my favorites.
As you all may know, my husband Bart loves to cook nearly as much as I do. He cooks on Scout trips, when we are away in the RV, and he especially loves to cook on the weekends. He makes a gumbo that doesn’t involve any flour at all and we love it, but if I’m cooking then this my friends, is the recipe that I turn to time and again!
This recipe does not involve the making of a traditional roux recipe, but let me tell you, I think it tastes just a delicious and is ready and on the table so much more quickly! It is my go-to!
To make it, I start by drizzling my olive oil into a Dutch oven set over medium heat. Then, I add my pepper, onion, celery, garlic, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper and cook until the onion is tender and the garlic is fragrant, about 2 minutes or so.
Next, I add in my sausage and cook until it is lightly browned. This usually takes about 5 minutes. Now, I sprinkle my flour over top of the sausage and vegetables and stir until they are all well-coated with the flour. Continue to cook, stirring constantly until the flour coating has lightly browned on the sausage and vegetables, about 2 more minutes.
Stir in the chicken stock and thyme and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the shrimp and onion and cook until the shrimp has turned opaque, about 3 more minutes.
Here’s my Easy Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo recipe. I hope you love it as much as we do!
Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper deseeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 celery stalk cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound andouille or smoked sausage halved lengthwise and sliced into 1/2 inch thick pieces
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 pound shelled and deveined medium shrimp
- 1 green onion thinly sliced
- Add the olive oil to a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Stir in the bell pepper, onion, celery, garlic, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently until the onion is just tender, about 2 minutes. Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the flour on top of the sausage and vegetables and stir until well coated. Cook until the flour coating on the vegetables has turned lightly brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in the chicken stock and thyme and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and onion and cook until the shrimp has turned opaque and pink about 3 minutes.