Broccoli Cheese Soup makes one of those soup recipes that I crave. Especially during cooler weather.
Full of broccoli and cheddar cheese, this broccoli cheese soup definitely comforts and thankfully, it is one that my whole family loves.
And whenever possible, I love to dice a little bit of leftover cooked ham to toss into my broccoli cheese soup, too. It really just takes it right over the top. I decided to rework my family’s recipe and use the base from our broccoli cheese casserole for this soup. Since I made that change a while back, this has been my go-to. I think you’ll love it, too!
I love big, chunky bites of broccoli, onion, and when included, ham, in this soup, but you can easily use an immersion blender or toss it all into your blender to make it smoother if you prefer.
Here’s my Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe. It’s perfect for lunch or supper. Hope you love it.
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (12.5 – ounce) packages frozen broccoli florets or 2 heads broccoli, cut into florets
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cooked ham, diced (optional)
- Place butter, onion, and garlic into a large, heavy-bottomed stock pot over medium heat. Cook until onions are translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Whisk in flour and cook another five minutes. Whisk in milk, half and half, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Stir in broccoli florets and chicken stock. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 25-30 minutes, until broccoli has cooked through and is fork-tender. Stir in 1 cup of cheese, reserving remaining cheese for sprinkling on top of each bowl as served and ham, if using.