Baked potato soup makes a warm, comforting soup recipe that gives a nod to everyone’s favorite loaded baked potatoes!
Potato soup. Just the name alone makes me go, “ummmmmmm!”
Hearty, warming, and oh so very comforting. It is one of my favorites to turn to during cooler months.
Since this potato soup recipe utilizes the microwave for pre-cooking your potatoes and getting your bacon ready, you can have this soup on the table and ready for supper in 20 minutes. That makes it a sure fire winner on busy weeknights when everyone is starving as soon as they walk through the door from Scouts, after school activities or work.
If you would like to use this recipe as a meatless-type meal, you can easily substitute a vegetable broth for the chicken broth used in the recipe and just omit the bacon altogether. It still tastes delicious!
I served Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread muffins alongside my potato soup for even more flavor.
Here’s the recipe for this oh so simple Baked Potato Soup. I hope you love it.
- 6 red potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk, divided
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 bacon slices
- ⅓ cup grated cheddar cheese
- Pierce potatoes with a fork and microwave on high setting for about 10-13 minutes, or until fork tender. Cut into quarters and set aside.
- While the potatoes cook in the microwave, heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes, until translucent. Add chicken broth.
- Combine flour and ½ cup milk. Add flour and milk mixture to the saucepan along with the remainder of the milk.
- Bring soup to a boil, stirring often. Cook for about 3 more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream, salt and pepper. Stir in potatoes.
- As soup is cooking, microwave bacon on a paper towel on a microwave-safe plate on high setting for about 4-6 microwave until crisp. Crumble.
- Serve potato soup with crumbled bacon and cheese.