This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Butternut Squash Soup makes a warm, comforting and delicious dish! So easy to prepare, this butternut squash soup will easily become a favorite.
I love simple recipes. The simpler, the better in my mind. For years, I’ve always loved butternut squash soup when I’d order it at a restaurant and only make it for special occasions. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I didn’t want to fool around with peeling and cutting that big old, tough as nails butternut squash. The task always led me to pick something a bit simpler to make when I was craving a soup as a starter for a meal or even as the meal. And then, as you know, I discovered cooking butternut squash in my slow cooker and haven’t looked back since.
I pop the butternut squash into the slow cooker in the morning and when I come home from our homeschool co-op or running errands or just finish working around the house, I can butternut squash soup on the table for my family in less than 10 minutes. The slow cooker did all of the heavy lifting for me and I just have to put the finishing touches to the recipe.
I love it when things work out that way! Don’t you?
Another thing you’ll notice in my butternut squash soup recipe is the lack of nutmeg. (Although, I include the changes needed to make this a more traditional butternut squash soup recipe, if you’d like!) Let me tell you why. Nutmeg isn’t a spice that my husband cares for greatly. He’ll tolerate it on occasion, but it definitely causes him to not like to eat but a bite or two of something with it in it. So, I began experimenting with other spices and flavor profiles for my butternut squash soup recipe. I have found one that we absolutely love and makes a delicious soup recipe!
Here’s my Butternut Squash Soup Recipe.
Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
- 1 (2 – 3 pound) butternut squash cooked and seeded
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground white or black pepper
- Scrape butternut squash from peelings and place into the container of a blender or food processor. Add 2 tablespoons of butter to the butternut squash. Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in a medium skillet. Saute onion and garlic in the butter until the onion is tender, about 3 minutes. Add to the butternut squash, along with chicken stock and ground cumin.
- If using a blender, remove the center piece from the lid, cover with a dish towel and blend on low speed, increasing as needed until the butternut squash is smooth. You may need to stop and scrape the sides of the container as needed.