This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup makes a creamy, delicious soup recipe. Dairy-free, gluten-free, but certainly not flavor-free!
If there is one thing that I turn to throughout the winter months, it is soup! Soup, soup and more soup! And this Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup will certainly warm you up all the way to your toes!
To make it, I start with butternut squash that I’ve already roasted (or you can use my super simple slow cooker method, if you like).
Once cooked, you can easily deseed and peel it with a vegetable peeler. No hacking away needed like when trying to cut up raw butternut squash!
Note that you can also use frozen butternut squash if you’d like.
Drizzle the olive oil into your Dutch oven and toss in your celery, onion, and garlic. Cook until the onion is just tender and the garlic is fragrant, about 3 minutes. Then, toss in your butternut squash chucks.
Stir in your chicken stock. I prefer to use my homemade chicken stock that I keep stocked in my refrigerator and freezer, but you can also use a 32-ounce container of store-bought if you like. Then, stir in your curry powder and ginger.
Next, you’ll add your coconut cream to the soup. Now, let me just tell you, this does not make the soup taste overly like coconut, but it does give it a beautiful creaminess without adding any dairy to the soup. The flavor goes perfectly with the curry, ginger and the butternut squash. The combination makes it absolutely scrumptious!
If you have an immersion blender, just pop it into the soup pot and blend until the soup is smooth and creamy. If you do not have an immersion blender, you can process in batches in a blender or in your food processor.
Here’s my Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup Recipe. I hope you love it as much as we do!
Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium butternut squash cooked, peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger or ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 5.4-ounce can coconut cream
- Drizzle olive oil into Dutch oven or stockpot set over medium heat. Add celery, onion and garlic and cook until the onion is fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add butternut squash, vegetable stock, curry powder, ginger, and coconut cream. Stir to combine and then simmer until heated throughout, about 10 minutes.
- Blend soup until smooth using an immersion blender, blender, or food processor.
- Remove from heat and serve.