This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Huevos Rancheros recipe makes a filling, delicious breakfast or brunch recipe. Full of flavor, huevos rancheros is made of tortillas, chorizo, and fried eggs topped with salsa.
During a trip out west, one morning while visiting near Taos, New Mexico, we had brunch at a local restaurant. When I asked the server what the house specialty was that he recommended he quickly replied, “our huevos rancheros are the best!” That’s all it took. When they were delivered, he again told me how much he loved that dish and couldn’t wait to hear what we thought of them. Now, I’d had huevos rancheros at numerous restaurants throughout the years – once in one state and I swore that I’d never eat them again. But this time, they were like magic on a plate!
Since then, I’ve been a bit obsessed with making huevos rancheros at home. I’d try this and then try that and then try a bit of this and that together. Ha! Let me just tell you, the time working on this recipe was definitely time well spent!
Here’s my Huevos Rancheros recipe. I hope you love it as much as we do!
Huevos Rancheros Recipe
- Add chorizo to a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook until cooked throughout, about 6-8 minutes. Meanwhile, add about ½ inch of vegetable oil to another medium skillet over medium heat. Once the oil has warmed, add one tortilla to the heated oil and cook until both sides are lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Carefully remove the tortilla with tongs to a paper towel lined plate to drain and add another tortilla to the oil. Replace the oil as needed until all tortillas have been fried.
- Add one to two eggs at a time to the heated oil and fry until the yolk of the egg is set and the white portion of the egg is cooked.
- Pour refried beans and cumin into a large bowl, stirring to combine. Heat in the microwave until warmed throughout.
- Assemble huevos rancheros by spreading some refried beans on each tortilla and then topping with the cooked chorizo.
- As eggs are cooked, add one to two eggs to each tortilla and serve with cheese and salsa.