Lemon Shortbread Cookies make a delicious slice and bake cookie recipe perfect for sharing! Made with fresh lemons and topped with a bright lemon glaze, this cookie recipe has just the perfect amount of sweet and tart that lemon lovers adore!
There’s just something about lemon that brightens any dish that you add it to. Case in point – these lemon shortbread cookies. Shortbread has always been a family favorite around our house since I was a little girl. It was one of those recipes that you could depend on Mama making, especially throughout the holiday season.
I’m not sure why it was primarily relegated to a holiday staple, but that seems to have been it’s place on the menu for some time.
Then, I decided to add a bit of lemon zest and lemon juice to our favorite shortbread and turn them into cookies – bringing you immediately into the land of sweet and tart and everything summery! Made with just five simple ingredients, they practically melt in your mouth with their citrus-y goodness!
The ingredients are staples that I keep around my house year round, too! Butter, flour, sugar, cornstarch and fresh lemons. That’s all it takes to make these delectable bites that make me think of sunshine!
While the cookies are perfectly delicious right on their own, I love to make a quick and easy lemon glaze to go on them as well. It just heightens the sweet and tart lemon flavor!
They just brighten the day, I think!
Which makes them perfect for sharing to help brighten someone’s day or to let them know how much you appreciate them brightening yours from time to time!
Actually, this recipe makes 48 cookies which is the perfect number for sharing! Pack up a dozen each of these cookies along with a little note and share it with a few friends, neighbors, or someone that adds sunshine to your day.
Isn’t that a great idea?
I know I sure would love coming home to these on my doorstep with a note. I bet you can think of a few people that would, too!
Want to join me in bringing a little sunshine to someone’s day?
I’ve included this fun printable that you are welcome to download, clip out and add to your gift of cookies to let those special people know just how much you appreciate them.
Sometimes, it is just that little thank you that makes the world a much better place. Don’t you think?
Here’s my Lemon Shortbread Cookies recipe. I hope you love ’em as much as we do and share them with someone special!
Lemon Shortbread Cookies Recipe
- Cream together the butter, cornstarch, and confectioner’s sugar with an electric mixer until well-combined, about 3 minutes. Add flour to the butter mixture until just combined. Add the lemon zest and the lemon juice. Beat until thoroughly mixed and a soft dough is formed.
- Divide the dough in half and turn each half out onto a piece of parchment or waxed paper. Form each half into a 1-inch roll, twisting the ends of the paper to seal. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350ºF. Slice the dough into 1/4-inch slices and place onto a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake until set, about 10 minutes. Cookies will not brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
For the Lemon Glaze
- Add the confectioner’s sugar to a medium mixing bowl. Stir in the lemon zest and lemon juice, stirring until the glaze is smooth.
- Once the lemon shortbread cookies have cooled completely, spoon about 1/2 teaspoon of glaze onto each cookie and spread around the center of the cookie. Allow the glaze to set and serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.