This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
An oatmeal recipe that is ready and waiting on you when you wake up is a dream come true. Get this simple overnight oatmeal recipe for easy mornings!
Steel cut oats make the most delicious oatmeal in my opinion. Hearty, full of fiber, and they stick to your ribs all morning. But on hectic mornings when we’re rushing about trying to get ready for school, work, and a busy day ahead, standing over the stove to make steel cut oatmeal just doesn’t happen as often as I’d like.
So, I’m excited to share a favorite way I get this delicious breakfast on the table any morning of the week.
I use my slow cooker.
Start by spraying the crock of your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray and then add in your favorite steel cut oats.
Then add water.
And toss in a little bit of sea salt, give it a quick stir, set the slow cooker on low and hit the hay!
You’ll wake up to a slow cooker full of warm, hearty, delicious oatmeal!
Add your favorite topping of brown sugar, butter, a little bit of cream, maybe some maple syrup – whatever you prefer. We’ve been enjoying adding a bit of homemade granola and fresh berries to the top of our oatmeal for an absolutely over the top bowl of oatmeal!
And guess what?
This recipe easily makes eight servings, meaning I’ll have leftovers I can refrigerate for another morning during the week. Keep it in an airtight container in your refrigerator and then just microwave it for breakfast in a snap.
I love that!
Here’s my Overnight Oatmeal Recipe. It’s a keeper!
Overnight Oatmeal Recipe
- 2 cups steel cut oats
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon butter per serving: optional
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar per serving: optional
- 1/4 cup granola per serving: optional
- fresh berries per serving: optional
- Spray crock of slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Add in steel cut oats, water and sea salt. Stir until combined.
- Set slow cooker to low setting for six hours.
- When done, stir well and then serve individual servings with your favorite topping.
- Variations – Our favorite topping, per serving: 1 tablespoon butter, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, ¼ cup granola, fresh berries