Pancake Muffins are the perfect breakfast or brunch! Simple to make with the ease of a muffin and the deliciousness of pancakes! Easy make ahead favorite!
One of my favorite breakfasts to make for my family has always been a large batch of buttermilk pancakes. They always love them and they are just right for a warm, delicious, comforting breakfast. No matter which side of the bed, right or wrong, I got up from, pancakes always seem to perk up my mornings.
But, let me tell you about these pancake muffins. They are similar to ebelskivers, yet you don’t have to worry with standing over the pan on the stovetop and flipping them while they cook. The oven does all of the heavy lifting in this recipe, leaving you free to do other things that need your attention!
Perfect Pancake Muffins Recipe
One recipe will make about 36 pancake muffins, making just the right amount to serve for showers, brunches or when entertaining guests over the weekend. But let me tell you, my favorite part about this recipe is that you can easily freeze these little babies to make your mornings super delicious and super easy.
How to Make Perfect Pancake Muffins
Thankfully, these muffins couldn’t be any quicker or easier to make!
- flour – all-purpose flour is the flour of choice for these muffins. You can use a blend of whole wheat and white, if you prefer.
- sugar – a little sugar is used to sweeten the batter as well as to help give the muffins structure as they bake.
- baking powder – baking powder helps the muffins to rise
- baking soda – baking soda is also used to help the muffins rise since this recipe uses buttermilk.
- buttermilk – if you do not have buttermilk already on hand, use my simple two ingredient trick for making homemade buttermilk.
- egg – you’ll just need one egg for this recipe
- butter – I like to use melted butter in this recipe. You can also use cooking oil if you prefer.
- maple syrup – warmed maple syrup is perfect for serving with these muffins! However, use whatever syrup you would normally use with your pancakes.
Prep. Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray a mini-muffin tin with nonstick baking spray, such as Baker’s Joy, and set aside.
Make batter. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk together buttermilk, egg, and melted butter in a 2-cup measuring cup. Pour the buttermilk mixture slowly into the flour mixture, stirring to combine as you pour. Allow the batter to rest for about 3 minutes.
Scoop and bake. Scoop the pancake batter and fill each indention of the mini muffin tin about 1/2 full. Bake for 13-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Serve. Then, just dip them into warmed maple syrup and then pop them straight into your mouth! No forks needed for these little babies!
Make Ahead Ideas
They are so practical for those rushed mornings since you can just reheat the number of pancake muffins that you need in the microwave. They store well in an airtight container on the counter overnight or in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
How to Freeze
Once cooked, allow to cool completely. Portion into freezer-safe container(s), label and freeze up to 3 months.
To serve, thaw in the refrigerator overnight, reheat and serve.
Here’s my Perfect Pancake Muffins recipe. I hope you love them as much as we do!
Perfect Pancake Muffins Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- maple syrup warmed
- Preheat oven to 350º F oven. Spray a mini-muffin tin with nonstick baking spray. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Whisk together buttermilk, egg, and melted butter or cooking oil in a 2-cup measuring cup. Pour buttermilk mixture slowly into the flour mixture, stirring to combine as you pour. Allow to rest for about 3 minutes.
- Scoop pancake batter and fill each indention of mini muffin tin about 1/2 full. Bake for 13-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve with warmed maple syrup for dipping.