Spiced Apple Upside Down Cake is one of my favorite cakes to make as summer begins to melt into fall. It’s sort of a special tribute to all of the great things that fall has in store for us – apples, cinnamon, buttery caramel, and that cozy feeling I always long for this time of year.
I first made my Spiced Apple Upside Down Cake a few years ago. We had last minute company that dropped in after supper one afternoon and I didn’t have anything to serve them. As my husband spent time with them on the porch, I ran into the kitchen and threw together what I had for a Pineapple Upside-Down Cake and then realized I didn’t have pineapples or cherries!
What I did have on hand were a couple of Granny Smith apples staring at me from the bowl on the counter.
Replacing the pineapple with the apples and adding a bit of cinnamon, I knew I was onto something delicious!
I headed back out onto the porch and we chatted about everything and nothing that I even remember until the Spiced Apple Upside Down Cake was ready. With fresh coffee, warm spiced apple cake and a dollop of whipped cream, my emergency, throw together, what am I gonna make cake, turned out better than I could have ever hoped.
It’s now a favorite cake in the fall and couldn’t be easier to make.
It sure would be delicious for dessert after supper tonight, don’t ya think?
- 1 stick butter, melted
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 Granny Smith apples, sliced thinly
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Pour ½ of melted butter into cast iron skillet or round cake pan.
- Swirl pan until bottom and sides are well-coated with butter to prevent cake from sticking.
- Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over the melted butter in the skillet or cake pan.
- Place apple slices on top of the brown sugar.
- In a separate bowl, combine buttermilk, the remainder of your melted butter, eggs, sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Whisk together until well-combined.
- Pour evenly over the apples and brown sugar layer in the skillet or cake pan.
- Place in the oven and bake for approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour or until toothpick or skewer inserted in the center comes our clean.
- Allow to stand for about 5-10 minutes before transferring to a cake stand
- When ready to transfer, place cake stand on top of skillet then carefully flip to where the cake comes out onto the cake stand.