Chicken recipes are really some of my favorites to play with lately. And this Chicken with Garlic and Mushroom Sauce is absolutely out of this world.
We had family over for supper the other night and while I was trying to think of something special to cook, I knew that I wanted something simple to prepare, easy to serve, and that would be flavorful and delicious.
I knew my brother-in-law liked chicken as much as we did and had really enjoyed our Coq au Vin Blanc that I made for my mother-in-law’s birthday supper a while back. Once I remembered that, I was off to planning this chicken with garlic and mushroom sauce.
I cooked it entirely on my cooktop, leaving my oven available for my macaroni and cheese. I knew the kids and adults alike would enjoy it as a side dish and it is always one of my nephew’s favorites.
For this recipe, I used chicken thighs. I personally think they are the most flavorful part of the chicken and really recommend them for this dish. Of course, if you prefer though, you can substitute chicken breast.
Don’t be afraid of the amount of garlic in this dish. The cloves remain whole and really impart a sweet, garlicy flavor to the whole dish.
Here’s my Chicken with Garlic and Mushroom Sauce Recipe. It is great for cool nights, busy days, and even for entertaining!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8-10 chicken thighs
- 20 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup half and half
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large, heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium-low heat, add butter and drizzle olive oil. When butter has melted, add chicken thighs, and cook for about 3-5 minutes. With tongs, flip chicken thighs over to cook on other side. Cook an additional 3-5 minutes. Using tongs, remove chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add whole garlic cloves and mushrooms to Dutch oven. Stirring constantly, cook garlic and mushrooms until lightly browned, taking care not to burst garlic. Remove from Dutch oven to a small bowl and set aside.
- Add chicken stock to the bottom of the Dutch oven, stirring to remove any browned bits that have stuck to the bottom of the pan. As stirring, add half and half to the chicken stock.
- Add back chicken, then garlic and mushrooms. Add thyme.
- Cover and allow to simmer over medium-low heat for 45 minutes, or until the juices run clear when the meat of the chicken thigh is pierced with a knife.
- Serve warm.