One of my favorite desserts to make while we are camping is a great big skillet cookie. They are so easy to prepare and always make a much welcomed dessert.
I first started making my skillet cookies while camping when Little Buddy was four years old. We were on a trip to Walt Disney World for his birthday and all he wanted for a birthday cake was “the biggest chocolate chip cookie ever.”
While my skillet cookie most likely wasn’t the biggest chocolate chip cookie ever, it definitely was the largest one my four year old baby boy had ever laid eyes upon.
I made my chocolate chip cookie dough ahead of time and stored it in a zip top plastic bag in the refrigerator of our RV until I was ready to bake it. Then, after supper the day before my baby’s birthday, I pressed the dough into the bottom of my skillet and we slid the skillet onto our grill.
About 20 minutes later, out came the skillet with a huge, fresh baked chocolate chip cookie that was a feast for the eyes. It smelled heavenly!
Now, our skillet cookies are a treat we love to make while camping away from home.
If camping isn’t your thing, that’s fine. You can bake these on your home grill or even in your oven if you prefer. I promise you though, these will quickly become a requested treat once you start making it. You’ll also love how easy they are to make!
To serve, just cut into wedges as you would a pie or cake. We love to top it with vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate sauce for that over the top touch.
Here’s the recipe.
I can’t wait to hear how you love them on your next trip!
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- ½ cup oats, quick cooking
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ cups chocolate chips
- Preheat grill or oven to 350º Fahrenheit.
- Cream butter then add sugars and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Mix until well-combined.
- Add flour, oats, sea salt, and baking soda to butter mixture.
- Mix well and then stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour chocolate chip cookie dough into a 10-inch, well-seasoned, oven and grill safe cast iron skillet.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked in the center.