Chicken Cheese Ball always made an appearance around my house growing up. Especially around the holidays, whenever Mama hosted a shower, or for other special occasions, her chicken cheese ball was sure to requested.
It is definitely one of the easiest recipes to toss together when entertaining, which probably explains why she has always loved to make it through the years.
I just remember being excited when it was finally time to serve her chicken cheese ball at whatever event she was hosting so that I could have a bite. She’d usually prepare it the evening before, or even earlier, and there it would be, taunting me in the refrigerator until time for her party. Talk about tempting!
Now that I’m older, I’m the one keeping the cheese ball covered in the refrigerator and begging my family not to dive into it too early. I probably should learn to just make two of them, one for entertaining and one for my family to enjoy.
Mama’s chicken cheese ball recipes are legendary in our family. The one I’m sharing today is her classic version that we all loved. I’ll have to share some of her other chicken cheese ball recipes soon so that you can give them a try, too. They are out of this world.
Here are a few tips for making her chicken cheese ball ahead of time.
Have all of the ingredients at room temperature before you begin mixing them. Then, you can easily stir all of the ingredients together with a wooden spoon or spatula.
Have a large piece of plastic wrap ready for wrapping the chicken cheese ball for chilling as you begin mixing your ingredients together. Then, just pour your cheese ball mixture onto the center of the wrap and form it into a ball.
Press the chopped pecans onto the cheese ball before it is refrigerated as they will adhere better to the outside of the chicken cheese ball once it is chilled.
So, be sure to pick up the ingredients for this recipe if you don’t already have them in your pantry so that you can make this over the holidays. It’s perfect to pull out of the refrigerator to snack on anytime of the day.
Here’s Mama’s Chicken Cheese Ball recipe. I can’t wait to hear how you love it.
Chicken Cheese Ball Recipe
- 1 (12-ounce) can chicken, white meat only preferred
- 2 (8-ounce packages) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup chopped onion, or 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- crackers and fruit, for serving
- Mix together chicken, cream cheese, onion or onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and 1/2 cup of chopped pecans in a medium mixing bowl.
- Pour chicken cheese ball mixture into the center of a large piece of plastic wrap. Using plastic wrap, press chicken cheese ball mixture to form a ball.
- Press remaining chopped pecans onto top and sides of chicken cheese ball.
- Wrap with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for 1 hour up to 3 days before serving.
- Serve with crackers and fruit.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.