Chicken Souvlaki Recipe
Chicken Souvlaki makes a delicious, quick recipe for lunch or supper. Chicken, seasoned to perfect, piled on top of grilled Naan bread with romaine and tomatoes and drizzled with tzatziki.
I love recipes that are easy to prepare and yet everyone thinks I’ve been working on them all day in the kitchen. Truth be told, Chicken Souvlaki is one of those dishes that you can do much of the prep work ahead of time and it just makes it taste even better.
I mix up the marinade ingredients for my chicken, toss it all into a zip top container and into the refrigerator to marinate until I’m ready to cook it. And, since we love tzatziki sauce so much, I generally keep some on hand in the refrigerator to use on all sorts of things. So when it is time to make my chicken souvlaki, I just pull out the chicken, toss it into the skillet to cook. While the chicken is cooking, I place a few pieces of Naan onto my indoor grill pan or another skillet and heat it throughout, and then chop up the lettuce and tomatoes for the toppings. Once the chicken has cooked through, I pile it on top, serve tzatziki alongside it and voila, supper’s ready in less than 20 minutes.
It’s kinda hard to beat that in my opinion. So full of flavor and fresh, it is one of our favorites.
Here’s my Chicken Souvlaki recipe. Make it soon. I think you’ll love it!
Chicken Souvlaki Recipe
for the chicken
- 2-3 skinless, boneless chicken breast cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 -6 pieces Naan bread
- 1 head romaine lettuce roughly chopped
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes halved
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- tzatziki sauce
- Place chicken into a gallon size zip top bag. In a 2 cup measuring cup, add olive oil, lemon zest and juice, garlic, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper. Quickly whisk together with a fork until well combined. Pour over chicken in the zip top bag. Remove as much air as possible from the bag and seal. Gently toss to make sure all of the chicken is well-coated. Place zip top bag onto a small rimmed baking sheet pan or other container and in the refrigerator to marinate overnight or at least 8 hours.
- Heat 12-inch cast iron skillet or saute pan over medium heat. Pour chicken, discarding the marinate contents, from the zip top bag to skillet and saute until well-cooked throughout. As chicken is cooking, heat another skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat and grill Naan bread until heated through. Remove from pan and top with romaine lettuce, tomatoes, and parsley. Top with cooked chicken and serve with tzatziki sauce.