We regularly include pork into our family meals, but I have thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to work with The National Pork Board highlighting various cuts of pork. It has allowed me to think outside of the recipes that I normally prepare and expanded our tastes to include so many more using this lean protein.
This week, I wanted to prepare the Pork and Mushroom Quesadillas for a quick-fix lunch. I played with ingredient combination a bit to make sure each person’s quesadilla included ingredients they would enjoy, which made this lunch disappear nearly as quickly as it was prepared.
The quesadillas were made using pork sirloin cutlets which cut relatively quickly for a stir-fry or for including in wraps and recipes like this quesadilla. As I quickly prepared it, I thought of all the traditional chicken recipes that I could easily use cooked pork sirloin cutlets.
Here’s how I prepared the quesadillas.
Pork and Mushroom Quesadillas Recipe
- 12 ounces pork sirloin cutlets pounded 1/4-inch thick
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 ounces fresh mushrooms sliced
- 1/3 cup green onions diced
- 2 cups Swiss or Gruyere cheese shredded
- 4 9 to 10 inch tortillas
- Stack cutlets and cut crosswise in half, then cut each stack lengthwise into matchstick-size pieces. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat; stir-fry pork for 2 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove from skillet with slotted spoon. Salt to taste.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet. Add mushrooms and onions and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove from skillet and wipe skillet clean with paper towels.
- Assemble quesadillas, sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese over half of each tortilla. Top each with pork and mushroom mixture. Sprinkle each with 1/4 cup remaining cheese. Fold tortilla in half and press gently.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to skillet. Cook quesadillas, 2 at a time, over medium heat for 2-4 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Remove from skillet and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Cut quesadillas into wedges and serve.