Some mornings I just struggle with making something new for breakfast. Little Buddy still has his favorite, especially my Chocolate Chip Waffles, that he requests every opportunity I don’t have a plan in place. Yesterday morning though, I think I hit one out of the park. I made this Salted Caramel Apple Waffle Recipe for breakfast.
I think I’m on a salted caramel kick. I would ask for an intervention, but I’m not really sure I want one.
Oh my goodness gracious!
These babies could totally pass as a dessert!
I whipped up a quick waffle batter that makes four large Belgian waffles or six to eight smaller waffles. It’s just right for two really, really hungry people or for three or four a more modest serving.
As my waffle iron was heating up, I made the salted caramel sauce and sliced up my apples.
I used Granny Smith because that’s Little Buddy’s favorite apple, but you could totally use whatever your favorite apple might be in this recipe. But I have to say, the little bit of tartness from the Granny Smith combined with the salted caramel was just about heaven. But then again, salted caramel straight off of a spoon is heaven, too.
I chopped one apple and tossed it into the skillet as my salted caramel sauce was finishing up and left more to top each waffle for a bright, crisp crunch.
Is your mouth watering already?
Mine is as I’m thinking about how my kitchen smelled so sweet from that caramel sauce all day long. It was just about sheer torture!
Okay, enough will all that, let’s get down to the recipe.
These Salted Caramel Apple Waffle Recipe will officially go down as a perfect fall waffle recipe. I can’t wait to hear what you think!
Salted Caramel Apple Waffles Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch kosher salt
- pinch sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
Salted Caramel Apple Sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 apple, chopped
- 2 apples, sliced into 1/4″ slices
For the waffles
- Preheat waffle iron to medium heat. Spray well with non-stick cooking spray when heated.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Mix together egg and milk and pour into dry ingredients. Whisk until well-combined and smooth.
- Pour batter equally into waffle iron, allowing for the waffle to rise and spread slightly.
- Remove from waffle iron and plate. You can also store on a baking sheet in a 250 degree oven until ready to serve if preparing a large batch of waffles.
For the Salted Caramel Apple Topping
- Add brown sugar, butter and half-and-half to a large skillet or heavy-bottomed sauce pan. Melt over medium-low heat, whisking as needed. Remove from heat and add sea salt and vanilla. Stir in chopped apple. Set aside to cool slighty, about 2-3 minutes.
- Place waffles on individual plates, top with apple slices and spoon salted caramel sauce on top of waffles.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
If you like this recipe, you may also enjoy:
+ more breakfast recipes on Add a Pinch