This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
- This easy slow cooker peppercorn garlic pork cassoulet is rich and rustic and perfect for a family meal.
There are many versions of cassoulet, most based on a stew of various meats and white beans. The dish, originating from France, gets its name from the earthenware pot in which it was traditionally cooked. Hopping across the pond and into my southern kitchen, I pulled out my slow cooker to cook this hearty, yet simple dish.
I began by cooking my bacon and onions on the stovetop to make sure that the bacon was nice and crisp and to render a bit of fat from the bacon before adding it to the insert of my slow cooker. Then, I used pork tenderloin that I sliced into medallions, along with smoked sausage, that I layered into the insert.
Next, I poured in the diced tomatoes, white beans (I used butter beans, but Great Northern white beans are delicious, too), chicken stock, and added the tomato paste and a large bunch of fresh parsley. I left the parsley whole to cook into the cassoulet so that I could easily pull it out once the cassoulet was cooked and add fresh chopped parsley for serving.
I cooked my slow cooker cassoulet for five hours on the low setting and let me just tell you that my house smelled amazing all afternoon! We were all ready to dig in as soon as supper time arrived!
For serving, I spooned the cassoulet into bowls and served it with thick, crusty bread slices I’d toasted.
Here’s the my Slow Cooker Peppercorn Garlic Pork Cassoulet recipe. I think you are going to love it as much as my whole family does.
Slow Cooker Peppercorn and Garlic Pork Cassoulet
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 (1-1 ½ pound) pork tenderloin , sliced into medallions
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage sliced
- 2 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes , drained
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans , drained
- 1 cup chicken stock or broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly crushed peppercorns
- fresh parsley + more for garnish
- Cook bacon over medium-low heat in a medium skillet until it begins to brown. Add in diced onions and continue to cook along with the bacon until the bacon is crisp and the onions are tender. Pour the bacon and onion, along with the drippings into the insert of a slow cooker.
- Arrange pork medallions and sliced smoked sausage in a layer in the slow cooker.
- Pour in tomatoes, beans, chicken stock, tomato paste, salt, and crushed peppercorns. Top with sprig of parsley.
- Cook 5 hours on low setting. Serve with fresh parsley on top.