Mother’s Day is just right around the corner and it always seems to bring with it the endless advertisements for kitchen appliances and gadgets. Those things are definitely special and as a Mama who spends a great deal of time in her kitchen, I more than appreciate any of those that I receive. However, there is one thing that I want more than anything else for Mother’s Day each year – to spend the day as leisurely as possible with my husband and son.
The thought of waking up and enjoying brunch with my guys on our back porch followed by riding bikes or scooters, taking a long walk through the woods, or even giggling as we race through the sprinklers would be fine with me. There is truly no possession in the world greater than the time spent together and maybe watching Little Buddy show off his new whittling skills he learned in Scouts as we laze through the day.
Regardless of what activity or non-activity we do or don’t do, I plan to soak up every delicious second of it.
And if my special fellas decided to make brunch for me, this Strawberries and Cream Stuffed French Toast would be on the top of my list.
But if not, I know that I’ll make it again soon for them. And for myself. And for anybody that stops by my house long enough for me to feed them a bite because it is so scrumptious that I think everyone needs to taste it at least once.
I hope you make it soon. Or print out the recipe and leave it all over the house so that your family makes it for you.
Or just drool over it, enjoy whatever meal you have for Mother’s Day and know that it was made with love.
I made my stuffed French toast with challah bread that I had baked; however, it is also delicious with Sally Lunn bread, brioche, French bread, and good ol’ sliced bread right out of the pantry.
Here’s how I made it.
Strawberries and Cream Stuffed French Toast Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk or half-and-half, or cream
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam
- 8 slices Sally Lunn brioche, or challah bread cut into 2" slices, sliced lengthwise but without halving
- 1/2 pint strawberries hulled and sliced
- confectioner's sugar
- Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Whisk whipping cream until soft peaks form. Stir in strawberry jam. Spread strawberry cream onto bread. Top with sliced strawberries and close bread together.
- Heat skillet or griddle over low to medium heat. Butter well to prevent sticking.
- Dip both sides of filled bread into egg batter mixture and place onto skillet or griddle. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side until lightly browned.
- Serve with a dusting of confectioner's sugar.
What’s your favorite way to celebrate Mother’s Day?