Quesadillas are always a favorite! Why not kick this classic up a notch with these amazing Chicken Fajita Quesadillas! So easy and ready in 30 minutes or less!
Quesadillas have been a favorite quick-fix lunch or supper item in my house since Sam was a wee little boy. Quesadillas were his favorite and he requested them often!
When you’d ask him what he wanted for lunch, he’d say, “K-dees and cheese, thank you very much.”
It was the most precious thing and I’m kicking myself that I didn’t record him saying it. There were so many little phrases that he’d say like that when he was a little boy that now I sure do wish I’d captured on video or even the tape recorder.
Now that he’s a good bit older – and can pronounce quesadillas – his tastes have evolved a bit from those plain cheese days. And this chicken fajita quesadilla is just the thing for a meal that we all adore.
I start by cooking the ingredients as if I’m making my chicken fajitas. Then, I pile grated cheese onto a tortilla, layer on the chicken fajita ingredients and serve with all the fixings. They are always gone in a flash!
Here’s my Chicken Fajita Quesadillas Recipe. I think you’ll love them!
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced into thin strips
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and sliced into thin strips
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- pinch cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6-8 medium tortillas
- cheddar and monterrey jack cheese, shredded
- sour cream
- sliced avocado
- Cut chicken and vegetables into thin strips and place in two separate zip top bags - one for chicken and one for vegetables. Add olive oil, lemon juice, chili powder, ground cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, and garlic to a jar with a screw top or tight fitting lid. Shake until well combined. Pour ⅓ over chicken, ⅓ over vegetables and reserve the remainder in the jar for using when cooking the chicken fajitas. Seal zip top bags tightly and refrigerate for one hour to overnight.
- When ready to cook, heat skillet over medium heat. Pour vegetable bag into the skillet and saute. Remove to a plate when cooked through and add chicken strips to the same skillet. When almost completely cooked throughout, add vegetables back to the skillet along with the reserved marinade.
- Place tortilla in large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Spread shredded cheeses over the top of the tortilla. Pile chicken fajita ingredients onto one side of the tortilla. Allow to cook until the cheese begins to melt and the tortilla is lightly browned. Fold the tortilla over to enclose the chicken fajita ingredients. Serve.