Creamy Pumpkin Soup Recipe – This classic pumpkin soup recipe is creamy, dreamy and made without cream! Quick and easy, this pumpkin soup comes together in a snap for simple weeknight or when entertaining through the holidays!
With one bite of this pumpkin soup, you’d swear it was made with cream! So smooth, velvety, and silky, it is hard to believe that not a bit of cream is included in this classic pumpkin soup recipe!
I love how versatile this quick and easy soup recipe is, too! I know that I can easily make it to serve vegetarian and even vegan friends with just simple tweaks in the garnish for a soup that everyone loves!
While we were on our Alaskan cruise recently, I couldn’t get enough of the warm soups served on the ship and then in the various ports of call that we visited. From the tomato soup with toasty cheese sandwiches served at the Salty Dog Gastropub onboard the Ruby Princess to the clam chowder served at the restaurant we visited for lunch in Skagway, I loved them all!
They were just the perfect thing to warm me up while out and about touring Alaska as well as while on the ship.
When we returned home, I stayed in soup mode by making soup after soup after soup!
I knew that as much as I loved this creamy pumpkin soup, I thought it would be just perfect to share with you for this time of year!
To make it, drizzle your olive oil into a Dutch oven set over medium heat. Then, add in your cubed pumpkin, onion and garlic and cook until the onion and garlic are fragrant, about 3 minutes. This helps to bring out the flavors of the pumpkin, onion and garlic and is a key step in the recipe, I think.
Then, stir in your preferred stock – either chicken or vegetable – and bring to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, reduced to a simmer, cover and cook until the pumpkin is tender and easily presses into the side of the Dutch oven when pressed with a wooden spoon.
Use an immersion blender and blend the pumpkin soup until smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, carefully ladle the soup into your standard blender and process until smooth.
Ladle the soup into bowls and top with your preferred optional toppings.
Here’s my Creamy Pumpkin Soup Recipe. I hope you love it!
Creamy Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium (about 2 pounds) pumpkin, deseeded and cubed about 2 pound pumpkin, deseeded and cubed
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- cream, pepitas, bacon, parsley, green onions
- Add olive oil, pumpkin, onion, and garlic to a Dutch oven set over medium heat. Cook until the onion and garlic are fragrant, about 3 minutes. Stir in the stock, salt and pepper to a Dutch oven set over medium heat. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until the pumpkin is tender.
- Blend with a stick immersion blender until the pumpkin soup is smooth. Serve warm with preferred optional toppings.
- If using a standard blender, remove the center piece from the lid, cover with a dish towel and blend on low speed, increasing as needed until the pumpkin soup is smooth. You may need to stop and scrape the sides of the container as needed.
This Alaska Cruise series is sponsored by Princess Cruises.