This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
One of my family’s favorite cakes is my Grandmother’s Strawberry Cake that I’ve shared before. It really is a classic southern recipe. But, the other day I decided to make a fresh strawberry cake that was a bit more like a coffee cake type recipe. I used my Lemon Blueberry Cake as a base recipe and have to tell you, it disappeared quickly!
I think it is safe to say that this strawberry cake will most definitely make a regular visit to my house!
Made with fresh strawberries and ingredients that I keep stocked, it’s so easy to throw together for a quick strawberry cake recipe that you don’t have to worry about frosting or any of those other details.
You can mix it up in a large bowl without the use of a mixer, pour it all into a 9×13 baking dish and in a little bit have a fresh, out of this world cake! Since it isn’t overly sweet, you can use it for as a breakfast cake, brunch, afternoon little treat, and yes, as dessert, too.
Wouldn’t it be lovely served at a shower or luncheon topped with a light glaze? Oh, I’m going to have to remember that!
This strawberry cake has really gotten me ready to visit the Strawberry Festival and Parkesdale for some of their amazing strawberries! If you aren’t familiar with them, you need to check out the post I wrote about how much my family loves Parkesdale in Traveling! They are a family tradition when we are in that part of Florida, for sure! If you are ever in that area, do go by for a milkshake!
So, are you ready for my fresh strawberry cake recipe? It’s a keeper!
Fresh Strawberry Cake Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons butter melted
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup fresh strawberries chopped
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick baking spray or spread with a thin coating of butter and then lightly flour the pan, removing any excess flour.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugars until well-combined.
- Pour melted butter into dry ingredients and stir together until really well-combined with a rubber spatula. Add eggs one at a time, combining well after each addition.
- Add buttermilk to the batter and stir well.
- Gently fold in strawberries. Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle entire top of cake with 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar to form a sugary crust on the baked cake.
- Bake cake for 40-45 minutes until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely, about 15-20 minutes before serving.
- Store cake slices in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
If you love strawberries as much as we do, you might also enjoy these strawberry recipes:
Strawberry Shortcake Whoppie Pies from Cookies and Cups
Strawberry Dark Chocolate Hand Pies from Two Peas and Their Pod