Grandmother Verdie’s Strawberry Cake Recipe
My Grandmother Verdie was such an inspiration to me. She was quick to give a hug, say a prayer for and with you, and to share her talents. She was an excellent seamstress, a wonderful homemaker, and you were truly blessed when you were able to eat a meal at her table. The meals were always fresh and delicious.
I’ve shared previously about the notebook of her handwritten recipes she gave me as one of my wedding presents. Like her Chicken Casserole, these recipes bring back a flood of memories of growing up with her.
This weekend, we celebrated my mother’s Mother’s Day. I prepared many of my mother’s favorite things, but the most special had to have been her own mother’s Strawberry Cake.
Grandmother Verdie's Strawberry Cake Recipe
- 1 Box Duncan Hines White Cake Mix
- 3 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1 (3-0z) box Strawberry Flavored Gelatin, Jello
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Crisco Oil coconut oil, or melted butter
- 4 Eggs
- 1 (10-oz.) box Birdseye Frozen Halved Strawberries in Syrup thawed and divided
- Preheat ovens to 350 degrees. Butter and flour 3 8-inch round cake pans.
- Add cake mix, flour, gelatin, water, oil and eggs to a large mixing bowl. Add half of the box of strawberries (other half will be used in frosting). Mix all ingredients together in mixer until well combined.
- Divide batter evenly into the cake pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of cake layers comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
I love pulling out the notebook of her recipes. I feel like she is right beside me, giving me tips the entire time I am cooking. I am so appreciative of the gift she gave me as a young bride.
And today, I just pour over her handwriting and remember.
Do you have a favorite recipe that is an heirloom in your family?