Stuffed peppers make a flavorful weeknight-friendly dish that the whole family loves. Top them with a cheesy cornbread topping and you better believe they disappear in a flash!
In a little over a week, on April 29th and 30th, South Pittsburg, Tennessee will again be home of the National Cornbread Festival and the Martha White®/ Lodge Cast Iron® National Cornbread Cook-off.
If you’ve never been to the Cornbread Festival and are in the area of South Pittsburg that weekend, I can’t recommend it enough.
The entire community pitches in to make it one of the most fun festivals I’ve ever been to. The downtown area of South Pittsburg is transformed into a fun and festive event with arts and crafts, homemade jams and jellies and of course, the most delicious foods you can imagine. You’ll definitely want to take a walk down cornbread alley to taste all of the delicious dishes!
And if you can make it, do be sure to take a tour at Lodge. It is wonderful to meet so many of the sweet people behind those cast iron skillets that I don’t think I could do without! It makes me appreciate my cast iron even more and I didn’t think that was even remotely possible.
It also inspires me to get even more creative with my recipes! Like with these stuffed peppers that I created a few years back in celebration of the cook-off. They are absolutely easy enough for a quick weeknight supper since they are on the table in less than 30 minutes from start to finish. The best part though is that my whole family loves them – even my not-so-sure-about-peppers teenager! I just knew I had to share them with you all again!
Here’s my stuffed peppers with cornbread crust recipe. You guys are going to love it!
- 4 - 6 red, yellow, or green peppers, cut in half and deseeded
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 package Martha White® cornbread mix
- 1 egg
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven 350º F.
- Place pepper halves, open side up, into a medium skillet or casserole dish.
- Brown ground beef with the Worcestershire sauce in a large skillet over medium heat. Remove from heat and drain any drippings from the skillet. Stir in onion, garlic, oregano and salt. Spoon ground beef mixture into the openings of the peppers.
- Mix together cornbread mix, egg, buttermilk, Parmesan, and parsley. Spoon over top of filled peppers and bake until cornbread topping has cooked through and lightly browned, about 14 - 15 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.
This post is brought to you by Martha White® for the National Cornbread Festival.