This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Stuffed peppers make a flavorful weeknight-friendly dish that the whole family loves. Top them with a cheesy cornbread topping and you better believe they disappear in a flash!
In a little over a week, on April 29th and 30th, South Pittsburg, Tennessee will again be home of the National Cornbread Festival and the Martha White®/ Lodge Cast Iron® National Cornbread Cook-off.
If you’ve never been to the Cornbread Festival and are in the area of South Pittsburg that weekend, I can’t recommend it enough.
The entire community pitches in to make it one of the most fun festivals I’ve ever been to. The downtown area of South Pittsburg is transformed into a fun and festive event with arts and crafts, homemade jams and jellies and of course, the most delicious foods you can imagine. You’ll definitely want to take a walk down cornbread alley to taste all of the delicious dishes!
And if you can make it, do be sure to take a tour at Lodge. It is wonderful to meet so many of the sweet people behind those cast iron skillets that I don’t think I could do without! It makes me appreciate my cast iron even more and I didn’t think that was even remotely possible.
It also inspires me to get even more creative with my recipes! Like with these stuffed peppers that I created a few years back in celebration of the cook-off. They are absolutely easy enough for a quick weeknight supper since they are on the table in less than 30 minutes from start to finish. The best part though is that my whole family loves them – even my not-so-sure-about-peppers teenager! I just knew I had to share them with you all again!
Here’s my stuffed peppers with cornbread crust recipe. You guys are going to love it!
Stuffed Peppers Recipe with Cornbread Crust Recipe
- 6 medium red, yellow, or green peppers, cut in half and deseeded
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package cornbread mix
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- Preheat oven 350º F.
- Place pepper halves, open side up, into a medium skillet or casserole dish.
- Brown ground beef with the Worcestershire sauce in a large skillet over medium heat. Remove from heat and drain any drippings from the skillet. Stir in onion, garlic, oregano and salt. Spoon ground beef mixture into the openings of the peppers.
- Mix together cornbread mix, egg, buttermilk, Parmesan, and parsley. Spoon over top of filled peppers and bake until cornbread topping has cooked through and lightly browned, about 14 – 15 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.
Did you make this recipe?
Mention @addapinch or tag #addapinch!
Share it with the world!
Sheer genius, Robyn! Can’t wait to try this! Looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks!
The cornbread crust is a genius idea!!! Delicious!!!
Your recipes are scrumptious esp the chocolate cake n stuffed peppers….for my 60th bday it was delicious!!
Keep those great ideas coming….after rising two very tall n athletic sons, I was burned out on cooking but you’ve revived my interest!! Thank you n kudos to u!
I just love this Katie! I’m so glad you’ve found recipes you enjoy cooking again and hope you enjoy many more of them as well! Happy Birthday to you!!! xo