How to Cook Butternut Squash the Easy Way

Butternut Squash is popping up at my grocery store and I’m sure it is in your area as well. I love making recipes using this fall favorite, but have to be honest – sometimes I didn’t use it because it is so gosh darn hard to cut.

Butternut Squash | ©addapinch.com

Then, I had a revelation and I haven’t looked back.

Want to know how to cook butternut squash easily? How to get into it without the risk of cutting yourself or worrying with poking holes in it for the microwave?

Butternut Squash | ©addapinch.com

Well, today is your lucky day!

Butternut Squash | ©addapinch.com

Use your slow cooker.

Butternut Squash | ©addapinch.com

Yep, you probably guessed that would be my suggestion after I sang its praises with my slow cooker baked potatoes the other day, but seriously, it makes cooking butternut squash easy peasy.

Here’s how to cook butternut squash in your slow cooker:

5.0 from 2 reviews
How to Cook Butternut Squash

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Learning How to Cook Butternut Squash the easy way makes life so simple. Get these easy tips for cooking butternut squash.
Author:
Ingredients
  • butternut squash
Instructions
  1. Wrap butternut squash with aluminum foil and place inside the slow cooker insert. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
  2. Remove from slow cooker and allow to cool for about 15 minutes before trying to handle.
  3. Unwrap butternut squash, slice it in half with a knife, and then scoop out the seeds and membrane from the inside of the butternut squash and discard.
  4. Scoop out the soft butternut squash flesh with a large spoon and place into an airtight container for later use.
  5. Keep refrigerated up to one week in an airtight container.

Enjoy!
Robyn xo

Butternut Squash | ©addapinch.com

DISCUSS

• 2

says

I’ve had them explode on me in my microwave oven even though I pierced them. Not sure what I did wrong, but swore I’d not repeat that mess! :)

1. 4

says

Butternut squash is my very favorite squash, then acorn, then pumpkin! I kind of love fall squashes! Using the slow cooker is a genius idea! Can’t wait to try it!

2. 5

Lou says

While visiting Amish farms last week in Ethridge, TN, I bought butternut squash. I will have to give this a try. We also attended the Amish produce auction. You will have to put this destination on your road trip list. Very interesting.

3. 12

says

funny i just blogged about BN squash too ;d i cooked mine 45 min in the oven and had perfect squash that cut into lovely pieces with greatest of ease :D
    i dont have aslow cooker :( dont really use those here in france :/

4. 13

says

What is a slow cooker insert? I just bought a large, oval slow cooker since all I had was the older, small one. I don’t know what you mean by insert.

5. 16

Cait says

I would imagine that if your crockpot is too small, you can wrap the squash in foil and bake on low for an hour or so… Just thinkin’, haven’t tried it as yet.

6. 19

says

I freaking love this! Working full time, it can be hard to put a healthy hearty meal on the table… slow cooker to the rescue. I knew about baked potatoes, but never thought about squash! I can’t wait to do this!

7. 20

danielle says

Robyn, if ever you lack the time to cook the squash in your slow cooker, there’s a hassle-free solution: Just slice the squash in two, remove the seeds, and slather the inside with olive oil, then salt and pepper. Put them on a non-stick cookie slate, flesh side down, and bake for 50 minutes at 375 F. I always put a head of garlic, with its peel and also slather with oil, under one of the holes left by the seeds. I get “ail confit” by doing this. (Sorry, I’m francophone… garlic confit?)

d-

• 22

Emma says

I have the same question about the foil. I’m guessing maybe it is to keep the skin/rind from sticking to the crockery. It also could be to keep all the steam in (I know steam woul stay in the crockpot but maybe it’s needed to keep the moisture from leaching out thru the skin, drying out the squash>) I don’t usually use foil but would hate to end up with a big mess if it’s needed.

Has anyone tried it without the foil? I’m also thinking of using the slow cooker for a shorter time, just enough to soften it up for easier cutting/peeling, and then finishing up with roasting.

• 23

Shelley says

I have done it without the foil. It works fine . I had one spot the skin scorched, but it didn’t affect the inside of the squash. The only reason I would use foil was if I pierced the skin and used butter.

8. 25

Nina says

Do you have to wrap in foil? Mine has been in for three hours…a butternut and spaghetti nestled in crockpot. But no foil.

• 26

says

Hi Nina,
      I’ve always wrapped in either foil or parchment. I’ve not tried it unwrapped as I believe that by wrapping it would help the squash to hold in any heat and steam inside the wrapping. Let me know how it turns out without wrapping!

Trackbacks