This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Remember last week when I shared about my visit with the La Rose family in New Orleans? Well, this week, I can’t wait to tell you all about my visit with the Dooleys outside of Atlanta with Del Monte to spend a day cooking.
Having been born and raised in Georgia, I was absolutely ecstatic when I heard that I would be visiting a fellow Georgian to cook and chat. Known for our slow drawls, sweet tea, and southern hospitality, Georgia has a diverse food heritage representing the mountain, plains, and coastal regions.
I drove over to spend the day with Kimberly and loved my time with her and her son.
We talked about so many of our favorites from deviled eggs at every occasion, the smell of BBQ that smokes all afternoon, and peach cobbler for dessert. We laughed about there being a southern saying to go along with every occasion and the merits of a good glass of sweet tea to get you through anything. Kimberly shared recipes her mother made for her as a child and those that she routinely makes for her own family and I shared an easy one-dish meal by Del Monte that I thought her whole family would enjoy as well.
Kimberly’s Tornado Casserole Recipe
Kimberly shared this family recipe for Cornbread Pie that she remembers her Mom making on the day of a tornado when she lived in Ohio as a child. From that day forward, the recipe was renamed as Tornado Casserole.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
– 1 pound lean ground beef
– 1 large onion, chopped
– 1 green bell pepper, chopped
– 1 can (15.25 ounce) Del Monte® Whole Kernel Corn, not drained
– 1 can (10.75 ounce) condensed tomato soup
– ½ cup water
– 1 to 2 tablespoon chili powder, to taste
– ¾ teaspoon each salt and black pepper
– 1 package (8.5 ounce) corn muffin mix
– 1 egg
– ⅓ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown beef; drain and return to skillet. Stir in onion, bell pepper, corn, soup, water, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until onions are tender.
- Meanwhile, combine muffin mix with egg and milk as package directs; set aside.
- Pour beef mixture into a 1 ½-qt. baking dish, spoon muffin batter over beef and bake 20 minutes or until golden brown on edges.
Kimberly’s Bacon and Green Bean Casserole Recipe
Kimberly shared one of her favorite holiday side dish recipes for her Green Bean Casserole recipe. A favorite of her family throughout the holidays and for special occasions.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
– 8 slices bacon, chopped
– ½ cup finely chopped onion
– 1 container (8 ounce) sliced fresh mushrooms
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 3 tablespoon butter
– 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
– 1 ½ cups milk
– ½ cup chicken broth
– 2 cans (10.5 ounce each) condensed cream of mushroom soup
– ½ cup shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese
– 4 cans (14.5 ounce each) Del Monte® Cut Green Beans, drained
– Salt and pepper, to taste
– 1 can (6 ounce) prepared French fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook bacon until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon and drain on paper towels. Discard all but 2 tablespoons bacon drippings. Add onions and cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently, or until soft. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Remove from pan and set aside in a separate bowl.
- Melt butter in the same pan; whisk in flour and cook, stirring constantly, until light golden brown. Whisk in milk and broth; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture is smooth and thickened. Stir in bacon and mushroom mixture; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat; stir in soup, cheese, beans and salt and pepper, if desired.
- Pour into 9 x 13-inch baking dish (3 quart.). Stir; sprinkle with fried onions and bake, uncovered, 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly and onions are golden brown.
Southern BBQ Cheddar Corn Casserole Recipe
To take Del Monte’s Cheddar Corn Casserole from a side dish to a weeknight main, add cooked pulled pork and then top it with a bit of coleslaw for serving.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
– 3 cups (12 ounce) shredded Cheddar cheese
– 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
– ½ tsp. black pepper
– 1 ½ cups sour cream
– 4 cans (15.25 ounce each) Del Monte® Whole Kernel Corn, well drained
– 3 cups (about 1 pound) hot cooked barbeque pulled pork
– 2 cups prepared coleslaw, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Stir together cheese, flour and pepper in a large bowl. Stir in corn and sour cream until well blended. Spoon into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- Top with hot pork; cover and bake 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Uncover and bake 15 more minutes. Top with coleslaw, if desired, just before serving.
You can watch our video of making the corn casserole and more!
Video was so good! These recipes all look fantastic. Pinned for later. Thanks.
Aww, thanks, Mary! We had fun for sure!
That green bean casserole is for sure going on our Thanksgiving table! Thanks for the recipe!