The Best Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe – Mouthwatering beef stew made with tender chunks of beef, delicious vegetables and a hearty broth makes a favorite Instant Pot recipe!
Beef stew has always been a recipe that I can depend on my family loving and when I started making it in my Instant Pot, we all declared it one of our absolute favorite Instant Pot recipes! If you have an Instant Pot, then you will definitely want to add this to your must-make soon list!
The Best Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe
For some time now, my Instant Pot has called a spot on my kitchen counter home. I use it so often that it only makes sense to leave it on the counter ready for the next adventure the next day. From eggs to potatoes to soups to making chicken stock, it certainly gets a workout!
And you probably know by now how much my family loves beef stew. I’ve shared my slow cooker version and Sam shared his recipe that he has made time and again on Scout camping trips and continues to make routinely on his nights to cook in the cookbook.
But friends, now that my Instant Pot sits just waiting to help out, I turn to it time after time for making this beef stew. The meat always turns out tender and practically falling apart, the vegetables cooked to perfection, and the broth is rich and hearty like you’ve been stewing it all day. No one would ever guess that it came together so quickly!
How to Make The Best Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe
To make my Instant Pot Beef Stew, I start by drizzling a bit of olive oil into the insert of my Instant Pot. I then set it to the sauté mode and add in the beef that I had cut into 1 1/2 – 2 inch pieces. Stirring occasionally, I cook the meat until it has been browned on all sides. Then, I stir in my Worcestershire sauce or coconut aminos (I use coconut aminos since I’m allergic to soy) and sprinkle with my Stone House Seasoning.
Next, I add in my chopped onion, carrots, potatoes, beef stock and tomato sauce and give it a good stir to combine. Then, I secure the lid to my Instant Pot, making sure that the vent is closed. I set the timer for 35 minutes on the high setting. Then, I allow for the pressure to release naturally, this takes about 20 minutes). I carefully remove the lid to the Instant Pot and ladle out some of the juices into a small bowl. I whisk the cornstarch into the juices to create a slurry. Then, I stir the slurry back into the beef stew until well combined.
What Type Roast is Best for Beef Stew
You want to use a large, more to the lean side, cut of beef from the front shoulder or the rear end of the cow. The specific cuts of beef to look for are:
- Chuck Roast
- Round Roast
- Rump Roast
- Pot Roast
Once your beef is selected, cut it into 1 1/2 to 2- inch pieces that are perfectly portioned for bite-sized pieces.
Here’s my Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe. I hope you love it as much as we do!
The Best Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (2-3 pound) boneless roast beef (chuck or round roast) cut into 1 1/2 to 2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon Stone House Seasoning
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 5 medium carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 pound new potatoes quartered
- 4 cups beef stock or broth
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Drizzle olive oil into Instant Pot. Set to saute setting. Add beef pieces and cook until all sides are browned. Add in Worcestershire sauce or coconut aminos and sprinkle with Stone House Seasoning.
- Add the onion, carrots, potatoes, beef stock, and tomato sauce to the Instant Pot. Stir to combine. Secure the lid to the Instant Pot, make sure the vent is closed and set for 35 minutes on high setting.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally, about 20 minutes. Then, carefully remove the lid to the Instant Pot. Ladle out some of the juices from the beef stew into a small bowl. Whisk in the cornstarch to create a slurry. Then, stir the slurry into the beef stew.