Skillet Caprese Chicken Recipe – This quick and easy chicken recipe is perfect for busy weeknights and delicious enough for entertaining!
One of my family’s favorite dishes is my Grilled Caprese Chicken. We’ve been making it for years and years and it is definitely one my go-to recipes throughout the warmer months. But, I have to tell you, I love this easy skillet version just as much!
It comes together in a snap and includes ingredients that I generally have on hand – the same that are used in my grilled version, just prepared in the skillet instead!
To make it, I season my chicken on both sides with salt, garlic powder and a little black pepper. Then, I place them into a skillet set over medium heat and brown it on both sides. If you like, you can skip this browning step and simply prepare baked chicken. I just like the additional color on the chicken from browning in the skillet for this dish.
Once the chicken has browned, I place the skillet into a preheated oven and let it bake until the juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches 165º F when check with an internal temperature probe. (I like this one, this one, and this one.)
When the chicken has fully cooked, I place sliced mozzarella and halved cherry tomatoes on the baked chicken and return it to the oven for about 3 minutes for the cheese to melt. The, I remove it from the oven and top with balsamic glaze and fresh basil. For the balsamic glaze, I use my homemade version. You can also use store-bought if you prefer.
Then, once I remove the caprese chicken from the oven, I sprinkle again with a bit of salt and freshly ground black pepper. You an of course just let everyone salt and pepper to taste, if you prefer.
I love that this dish is ready and on the table in 30 minutes for supper and that it uses ingredients that are commonly in my refrigerator or pantry! And, I love that we can enjoy one of our summertime staples anytime of the year!
Here’s my Skillet Caprese Chicken Recipe. I hope your family loves it as much as we do!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) package mozzarella cheese, cut into 4 thick slices
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- balsamic glaze
- basil leaves, torn or chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Season chicken breasts on both sides with the salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil into a medium skillet set over medium heat. Arrange chicken breasts in the skillet. Brown the chicken on both sides, about 3 minutes per side.
- Place the skillet into the preheated oven and bake until juices run clear when pricked with a knife and the internal temperature registers 165º F when checked with an internal thermometer, about 20 minutes.
- Arrange the cheese on top of the chicken breasts and top with the cherry tomato halves and return to the oven until the cheese melts, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with basil glaze and basil leaves for serving. Salt and pepper to taste.