Slice and Bake Shortbread Cookies make an easy and delicious cookie recipe. Made with just four ingredients, these shortbread cookies are a great make-ahead cookie for all sorts of occasions.
These simple slice and bake shortbread cookies are one of my favorite cookie recipes to prep ahead and keep in the refrigerator. I can whip up a few batches of the shortbread cookie dough, wrap it well and have it waiting in the refrigerator for me to slice and bake for a perfect make ahead sweet treat!
But, you can also make it ahead and keep rolls of it in the freezer for longer term prep ahead! Then, just allow the shortbread cookie dough to thaw for a few minutes as the oven preheats so that they’ll be easier to slice. You may have to add another minute or so to the baking time, but watch them carefully.
Just think, now you can go ahead and get your cookies all prepped for the holidays!
I like to slice them into 1/3-inch slices and then place them onto a parchment lined baking sheet. You’ll then bake them until they are just lightly golden around the edges, about 12 minutes.
More Shortbread Recipes
Here’s my favorite Slice and Bake Shortbread Cookies recipe. Make them soon and then make another batch for the freezer! You’ll be so glad you did!
Slice and Bake Shortbread Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup salted butter, , softened
- ¾ cup confectioner’s sugar, whisked
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Cream together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until the mixture is smooth and well-combined, but not fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add flour and salt to the butter and sugar mixture and mix until just combined.
- Transfer the dough onto a piece of plastic wrap and roll into a 2 1/2 inch diameter log. Tightly twist each end of the plastic wrap to ensure that the dough is tightly enclosed and airtight. Place in the refrigerator to chill at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Place parchment paper onto a baking sheet. Slice the shortbread cookie dough into 1/3-inch slices and place onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake until the edges have turned lightly golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
Place wrapped shortbread cookie dough roll(s) into a large, freezer-safe, sealable bag and freeze up to 3 months. To bake from frozen, allow to thaw for a minute while oven preheats to be able to slice more easily. Slice and bake, noting that the baking time may take another minute or two, but watch closely.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.