These Fried Green Tomatoes Caprese Stacks are perfect for this time of year.
The green tomatoes are bountiful at the farmers’ market or in the garden and if you are like me, they are just as loved as the red juicy ones I’m beginning to see.
Fried green tomatoes are what I would call a delicacy in the south, good ones at least, and make a revered appetizer or side dish that I just love. You’ll find them everywhere from family supper tables to menus of many of the nicest restaurants south of the Mason-Dixon line.
I have a special love for them and you all know how much I love anything caprese. Remember the grilled caprese chicken? If you haven’t tried it, you really should! It is fabulous!
Anyway, I knew you’d most likely love this gorgeous fried green tomatoes caprese stacks recipe, too. And just like a plate of fried green tomatoes, it is a welcome appetizer or side dish. Think about serving it the next time you have guests over this summer. It definitely fits my description of easy, elegant entertaining! You can find more fresh tomato recipes on Cooking Light that look scrumptious.
Here’s my Fried Green Tomatoes Caprese Stacks Recipe. I can’t wait to hear how you love it!
- 1 batch Fried Green Tomatoes recipe
- 8 ounces Mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 8 whole basil leaves
- balsamic glaze
- Fry green tomatoes as instructed in recipe.
- Cut cheese into 8 individual pieces.
- Assemble fried green tomatoes caprese stacks by placing one fried green tomato on a plate. Top the tomato with a piece of Mozzarella cheese, then with a basil leaf, then with another fried green tomato. Repeat with another piece of cheese, another basil leaf and top with a final fried green tomato. Drizzle top with balsamic glaze.
- Serve warm.