I really can’t take much credit for these. They were actually my husband’s idea. I had made balsamic chicken for another purpose, but he came home from work for lunch and decided these were what he wanted.
We had all of the ingredients on hand since my son is now a bit obsessed with croissants from the local bakery. Otherwise, these would have been just fine on another type of bread.
I tossed my balsamic chicken into my slow cooker with some cream cheese and let it work magic in making the quick chicken salad. Oh my goodness y’all, the balsamic chicken is so full of flavor and tender from cooking in the slow cooker. It just melts in your mouth. And then mixing with just a little bit of cream cheese to hold it together – it just becomes such a flavor balsamic chicken salad. Ahh-mazing!
Anywho, I halved and toasted the croissants, layered on some spinach, the chicken salad, and slices of Monterray Jack cheese and then popped them back into the oven just to let the cheese begin to melt.
These easy little sandwiches that began with ingredients that were going to be something else entirely were scrumptious!
And my sweet husband was beaming.
I think he may be trying to take over my job as the foodie in the house or something.
If he starts taking photos of our food, I’m in trouble.
Oh wait, that could be a good thing.
Here’s the recipe for the Mister’s Toasted Balsamic Chicken Salad Sandwiches.
- For the balsamic chicken:
- 2-4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- For the sandwich:
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 6 large croissants, halved and toasted
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 6 slices Monterrey Jack cheese
- Place all ingredients for the balsamic chicken (through garlic) into insert of slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours. Remove chicken from insert and refrigerate balsamic sauce in an airtight container for another use.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Break apart chicken into large chunks and mix together with cream cheese. Set aside.
- Layer spinach, prepared balsamic chicken salad, and cheese. Place into oven for 5 minutes or until cheese has begun to melt. Remove from oven and top with other half of toasted croissant.
Hope ya love em!