Pretzel pigs in a blanket make a fun update on everyone’s favorite appetizer! Perfect for serving on game day or anytime, just know they disappear quickly!
An appetizer that I’ve always loved is the classic pigs in a blanket.
You know the one where you wrap cocktail wieners in croissant dough and bake them until they are golden brown?
I can’t get enough of those bad boys!
And I’m not the only one around here that feels that way!
It seems like they always disappear faster than you can make them – or at least they do around my house.
Well, we’ve started making an updated version of this classic recipe by making them with pretzel dough!
Mercy! They are so delicious that they may even be illegal! Ha!
Rather than making them with croissant dough, we use my husband’s soft pretzel recipe to make these little treats.
Oh my heavenly days are they amazing!
We do have one trick though. Be sure to pre-bake your cocktail weenies. It allows much of the drippings to bake out of the weenies so that your final pretzel pigs in a blanket are soft and delicious.
Here’s my word of caution, if you thought pigs in a blanket disappeared quickly before, you’ve not seen anything until you’ve served these!
You better believe they are a part of our menu the big game this year! I’m just planning on making extra pans of them to stash in the freezer so that I don’t run out!
Here’s my Pretzel Pigs in a Blanket Recipe. You need ’em!
- 1 Soft Pretzel Recipe
- 2 (16-ounce) packages cocktail weenies
- Prepare soft pretzel dough following the recipe through step 7.
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Arrange cocktail weenies on a rimmed baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Leave the oven at 400º F for baking the pretzel pigs in a blanket.
- Spray parchment paper lined rimmed baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray. Once dough has risen, remove dough from the bowl and roll to ¼ inch thickness with a rolling pin. Using a pastry wheel, pizza cutter or knife, cut dough into equal strips about 6 inches in length and 1 inch wide. Wrap pretzel dough around the cocktail weenie and repeat until all are formed.
- Add baking soda to water in a 4-quart saucepan over medium low heat. Bring to a simmer. Add pretzels, one at a time to the water. It will initially sink to the bottom and rise as it is ready to be removed. Using a slotted spoon, remove the pretzel from the saucepan and place on the parchment lined baking sheet to dry completely, about 5 minutes. Repeat until all pretzels have been bathed in the baking soda water.
- Brush with butter, sprinkle generously with sea salt and bake 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest until easy to handle. Serve warm.