Bread Pudding Recipe
Bread Pudding makes a luxurious dessert recipe. Filled with bread, eggs, cream, and sugar, this bread pudding recipe is a favorite.
One of my favorite dessert recipes to whip up when we have a special occasion is bread pudding. So rich and delicious, you would never guess how easy it is to throw it all together!
Bread pudding is very similar to a baked french toast recipe in ingredients and cooking method. In my house, that means that if I’m serving it in the morning for a special brunch, I call it Baked French Toast. If I’m serving it as a dessert, I call it Bread Pudding. Now you know my secret! If I’m wrong, please don’t tell me. I’ve operated like this for too long to correct my ways. And seriously, sneaking in bread pudding for breakfast is kind of wonderful!
I have another secret that I’m just going to go ahead and tell you. Sometimes, I use day old donuts. Yes. Donuts. You absolutely will fall in love with the first bite of bread pudding made with them. I’ve been known to buy glazed donuts and hide them just so I could use them in my bread pudding for an extra special treat. When you start hearing the “mmmmmm….” followed by “what is this?…” and “soooo gooood” you know you have a keeper.
I cut them into bite-sized chunks and arrange in my casserole dish. Then, I whisk together all of my wet ingredients for the custard and pour over the donut or other bread pieces, like left over cream biscuits, angel biscuits, my go-to buttermilk biscuits, or challah bread, and pop it into the oven. It doesn’t get much simpler than that!
Then, once it has finished baking, I allow it to completely set as it cools. Then, I add a bit of confectioner’s sugar to the top and serve with salted caramel sauce so that everyone can add as much or as little as they’d like. It also is delicious with a praline sauce or a raspberry or strawberry syrup as well. Add a bit of fresh fruit, a cup of coffee and you have a treat everyone will adore!
Here’s my Bread Pudding recipe. Make it soon and let me know how you love it!
Bread Pudding Recipe
- 6 day-old glazed donuts or 1 loaf sourdough bread cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray a 13x9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray or butter liberally. Add bread cubes to baking dish and distribute evenly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, half and half, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and pinch of salt. Pour over bread cubes. Press bread cubes into the baking dish to make sure they absorb custard.
- Bake 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for about 3 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm.