This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Lentil Vegetable Soup Recipe – This easy one pot Lentil Vegetable Soup recipe is a warm, comforting and delicious soup recipe! Gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan, but one that even meat lovers love!
I’ve not been able to get enough soup lately. Let the temperatures dip just south of 50 and you can pretty much bet that soup will be on my menu plan for lunch or supper, if not both!
And lately, it has felt like I’ve been making a whole lot more soup than normal this time of year!
I’ve been all about Grandmother’s Chicken and Dumplings when we want something super cozy and comforting, my White Chicken Chili when we are looking for something with a little bit of spice but still not leaving us feeling overstuffed, my Weeknight Chili when I need something super quick and rich, but lately, I’ve also been making recipes that aren’t centered on meat from time to time.
That’s where this Lentil Vegetable Soup comes in!
Stocked full of delicious vegetables, hearty lentils, and filling beans, this is a soup that definitely sticks to your ribs without weighing you down!
I love that I can make it on the stovetop, slow cooker or in my Instant Pot, depending on how much time I have to get lunch or supper on the table!
I just add my vegetables – carrots, potatoes, corn, beans, and tomatoes to the pot.
And then, I add in my lentils.
For the lentils, you can use whatever color lentil you have on hand or prefer. I love that red lentils dissolve when cooked and make for a delicious creamy soup.
I like to rinse and drain my lentils before I add them into the soup.
Once I add the lentils to the other vegetables, I then pour in my vegetable stock (or broth) and water and cook according to the cooking method that I’m using.
Once the soup has cooked through and all of the vegetables are tender, I stir in my greens. For these, you can use your favorite or a mixture of your favorite greens. I had a mixture of spinach, kale and bok choy from the grocery store and just used those in my soup photographed, but turnip, collard, and beet greens would also work beautifully.
The greens will slightly wilt into the soup for the perfect texture in this delicious soup recipe. Add seasonings to taste.
Here’s my Lentil Vegetable Soup Recipe. I hope you love it as much as we do!
Lentil Vegetable Soup Recipe
- ½ medium onion diced (optional)
- 2 medium Russet potatoes scrubbed clean and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup red lentils rinsed and drained
- 2 cups fresh or frozen Lima beans or 1 15-ounce can Lima beans, drained
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn off the cob or 1 15-ounce can niblet corn, drained
- 2 cups carrots sliced or 1 (15-ounce) can carrots, drained
- 1 pound of peeled and diced whole tomatoes or 1 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach or 1 package frozen and thawed spinach
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- pinch of cayenne pepper optional
Stove Top Method:
- Add all ingredients except chopped spinach to a Dutch oven set over medium-low heat. Simmer until all of the vegetables and lentils are tender, about 45 minutes.
- About 10 minutes before serving, remove the lid of the Dutch oven and stir in the chopped spinach. Let the spinach soften from the heat of the soup. Add seasonings to taste.
- Serve warm.
Slow Cooker Method:
- Add all ingredients except chopped spinach to the slow cooker. Cover and set the timer for 4 hours on high setting or 6 to 8 hours on low setting.
- About 10 minutes before serving, remove the lid of the slow cooker and stir in the chopped spinach. Let the spinach soften from the heat of the soup. Add seasonings to taste.
- Serve warm.
Instant Pot Method:
- Add all ingredients except chopped spinach to the Instant Pot. Use “Soup” button and cook 30 minutes.
- When done and the pressure releases, remove the lid to the Instant Pot and stir in the chopped spinach. Let the spinach soften from the heat of the soup. Add seasonings to taste.
- Serve warm.