This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Mashed Potatoes always draw me in. Especially gooooood mashed potatoes. You know what I mean, right? Those mashed potatoes that you can just tell someone took the time to make them right and didn’t just throw them together and hope for the best. The mashed potatoes that have just the right consistency, just the right amount of butter, just the right amount of salt, and oh yes, just the right amount of horseradish and garlic.
Yes, I said it. Horseradish and garlic.
I’ve always had a thing for mashed potatoes with horseradish and garlic and a couple of weeks ago when I ate at a beautiful restaurant while traveling, they served mashed potatoes with horseradish and I kept feeling like I wanted to tell them if they just added the garlic the mashed potatoes would have been perfect.
I think I have a problem.
Anywho, if you have an affinity for horseradish like I do OR if you want to give your holiday side dish a little kick in the pant OR if you are suffering from a seasonal cold, this dish has your name all over it. Promise. Just give it a try.
Here’s my Mashed Potatoes with Horseradish and Garlic Recipe. Do let me know if you give it a try. I think you’ll love it!
Mashed Potatoes with Horseradish and Garlic Recipe
- 5 pounds Russet or Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup butter melted + 2 tablespoons cut into pieces
- ¾ cup half and half
- cloves from about 2 bulbs of roasted garlic
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoons freshly ground white or black pepper
- Place potatoes into large saucepan and add enough water to cover, plus about 1 inch. Cook over medium-low heat until fork tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter, add half and half and roasted garlic. Heat until simmering.
- Drain potatoes and pour potatoes back into saucepan used to cook them. Mash potatoes over low heat until smooth. Add the melted butter and half and half mixture to potatoes. Continue to mash the potatoes until creamy. Stir in prepared horseradish. Then, mix well with a wooden spoon until light, fluffy and smooth. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Pour potatoes into a serving bowl for serving.
- Serve warm.
When you remove from the oven, top with remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and a sprinkle of salt and pepper, if desired.
Did you make this recipe?
Mention @addapinch or tag #addapinch!
Share it with the world!
I just had a baked potato yesterday with horseradish but not garlic. Need to get that garlic/horseradish combo going! YUM!
I have made mashed potatoes with garlic (often) and with Horseradish (from time to time) so I can’t believe I never thought to do both at the same time. Thanks for sharing this, I will try this the next time I make mashed potatoes.
Horseradish mashers are my favorite. I used to work in a game restaurant that served them and since then, I make them often. I’ve never added garlic as well but will definitely try it next time I make them! Hope you had a good time in Vegas!! xo
I LOVE mashed potatoes and I love horseradish and garlic, but I’ve never thought of combining them. Need to try this ASAP!
Seriously probably my new go to mashed recipe, was easy to follow and came out amazing! Matches it with roasted chicken quarters
Thanks, Katie. I, too, love these mashed potatoes with roasted chicken.