This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Skillet Mac and Cheese Recipe – Mac and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food! This easy cheesy sauce combined with macaroni and a buttery, crunch topping makes for the best homemade Mac and Cheese!
Looking for more delicious easy side dish recipes? I think you’ll love my mashed potatoes, roasted Brussels sprouts, and potato salad.
Do I have a recipe to share with you today that I think you will absolutely love!
This easy, cheesy, creamy, crunchy, and out-of-this-world delicious Skillet Mac and Cheese!
The BEST Mac and Cheese
I know, I know. There must be a million Mac and Cheese recipes out there. But before you dismiss this one, let me tell you a little more about it. I’ve also included some step-by-step photos and a video so it doesn’t seem nearly as intimidating.
I get it. I remember all those years of grabbing a blue box when I was grocery shopping and then boiling noodles, draining them, and squeezing in the magic packet. With a quick stir, it was done. But once I began making my homemade mac and cheese, I haven’t turned back.
I think you’ll love it, too!
How to Make Mac and Cheese from Scratch
To make it, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Flour – I prefer to use all-purpose flour.
- Stone House Seasoning – I’ve shared my recipe for Stone House Seasoning before. Every time I mention it in a recipe, I get questions about it. It is made of three simple ingredients at just the perfect ratio for quickly adding seasoning to so many dishes. I make a large portion of it and keep it in an airtight container to add flavor in a snap! To make for this recipe, you’ll use ¾ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, and ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder.
- Milk – I use whole milk. You can use your preferred dairy or non-dairy milk. The fat content of the milk may impact the creaminess of the sauce.
- Cheeses – I prefer a blend of cheeses for the rich and creamy sauce.
- Hot sauce – Optional
- Elbow noodles – You can use your favorite type of noodles. Penne noodles are also great.
- Panko crumbs – Optional
Make the cheese sauce.
Make a roux. Melt butter in a medium (12-inch) skillet. You can also use a Dutch oven or another heavy-bottomed stock pot. Add the flour and Stone House Seasoning to the melted butter.
Once you add the flour and Stone House Seasoning to the skillet, whisk to incorporate into the melted butter. Then, continue to cook for about a minute more.
Add the milk. Next, whisking constantly, pour the warmed milk into your flour mixture, making sure it is smooth. Allow the flour and milk mixture to come to a low bubble in the skillet and continue to cook until the sauce has thickened.
Add the cheeses. Now, turn the heat off to the skillet and add all of your cheeses, along with the hot sauce if you are using it. Stir until all the cheese has melted.
This cheese sauce makes this the best Mac and Cheese recipe in my book!
Add cooked noodles. I like to add the cooked noodles in stages, not all at once, and stir them into the cheese sauce.
Serve as a creamy Mac and Cheese. If you like, you can stop here and serve this Mac and Cheese without any topping. It is delicious this way and is how I make it often. It is a favorite for children this way.
Add Panko for Baked Mac and Cheese. It is out of this world delicious with this buttery Panko topping! The Panko is mixed with a bit of melted butter, added to the top of the Mac and Cheese, and then placed under the broiler until nice and toasted. YUM!
How to Store, Make Ahead, and Freeze Mac and Cheese
To store. Bake and cool. Cover with wrap and store in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
To make ahead. Prepare without adding the topping. Cover tightly with wrap and refrigerate. To serve, remove from the refrigerator and top with the Panko topping mixture, and bake at 325º F for 15 minutes.
To freeze. Transfer any leftovers to a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw in the refrigerator overnight, reheat and serve.
Here’s my Skillet Mac and Cheese Recipe. I hope you make it soon!
Skillet Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 6 tablespoons butter divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Stone House Seasoning
- 3 cups milk warmed
- 1 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce optional
- 1 pound elbow pasta cooked according to package instructions
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in skillet set over medium heat. Sprinkle the flour and Stone House Seasoning into the butter and whisk until the flour has been incorporated into the butter. Continue to cook until the flour has lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Whisk constantly as you slowly pour the warmed milk into the flour mixture making sure that the mixture remains smooth and without lumps.
- Allow the mixture to come to a low bubble and cook until the sauce has thickened. Turn the heat off to the skillet and add the cheeses, and hot sauce if using. Stir until the cheeses have melted.
- Add the cooked elbow pasta (macaroni) to the skillet and stir into the sauce.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in the microwave and mix with the panko. Spread the panko on top of the mac and cheese and place under a broiler until just crispy, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
To make-ahead, prepare without adding the topping. Cover tightly with wrap and refrigerate. To serve, remove from the refrigerator and top with the Panko topping mixture and bake at 325º F for 15 minutes. Freezer-Friendly:
Transfer any leftovers to a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Did you make this recipe?
Mention @addapinch or tag #addapinch!
Share it with the world!
I can not WAIT to try this! I am addicted to the yellow box that comes with the pouch of cheese. It looks like this will only take a few more minutes to prepare (and it will be so worth it). Thank you!!
I hope you love it, Erin! It is so quick and easy and DELICIOUS!!! xo
I’m not a monterey jack fan. What would be a good substitute?
You can use the same amount of Cheddar as the Monterrey Jack or you could use a bit of Provolone, Gruyere, or even Parmesan.
What size pan do you use?
I use a 12-inch skillet, Geri. I hope you enjoy!
Thanks. LOVE your recipes. Keep them coming.
I make basically the same recipe in the microwave. I melt 4 T butter, add 4 T flour, after blended I add 2 c milk.. Microwave until thickened, whisking every 2 minutes. Stir in 2 cup cheddar cheese.. When I add the sauce to the cooked macaroni I always add a little extra cheese. Bake to set cheese on top. I haven’t added the planko topping, but will try it next time. It sounds great! My family loves it and won’t eat the boxed kind anymore. Make sure you use large enough container to cook as it bubbles up high.
What size is the skillet?
It’s a medium, or 12 inch skillet. Enjoy it, Emily! Thanks!
Even works with yak cheese, with a bit more stirring 🙂
I just made this and it is excellent. No need for the box stuff. This is quick and easy and you actually know whats in it. No preservatives. Highly recommend
Excellent recipe. Just made it and it was delicious. Very easy. No need for box Mac and cheese. No preservatives I highly recommend this recipe
Thanks so much Cindy! xo
This was easy and delicious! Followed the recipie but omitted the breadcrumbs because we didnt have any on hand. This will be our new to go to easy mac! Thank you for posting!
Thanks, Bonnie. So glad you enjoyed the Mac and Cheese.
I just got done making this dish for my family. Took no time whatsoever, and turned out amazing. I followed the recipe to the T, except I substituted the hot sauce for liquid smoke to give it a smoked flavor. It was amazing. Thank you so much for the recipe! 5 stars!
This looks amazing, definitely going to try it next weekend!
Hope you enjoy, Bella!
This is a fine recipe. I made it last night and it was delicious. It was very easy to prepare. I didn’t have elbow macaroni and used orecchiette instead. My dinner companion loved it. The other recipes are also terrific. I have tried several.
Thanks so much, Gary!
We just prepared and ate this recipe tonight. Four of my 5 kids, age 15 to 22, love a good mac n cheese. We all agreed this is one of the BEST mac n cheese we have had, at restaurant or at home! It was fantastic! I honestly did not change a thing. It was perfect!
Thank you, Jen. I’m so happy your kids loved this. It is a favorite of my son’s, too.
ANY recipe from Robyn is worth making! Love Love Love her website…addapinch.com is one of my favorites.
That is so sweet, Jodi! Thank you so much.
That was excellent and it was so good didn’t have the stone season but everything else or pako used other breadcrumbs . Just love the way it came out . Thank you very much.
Patricia, the Stone House Seasoning is my recipe so you can make your own. You can make a jar of this seasoning to keep on hand or the measurements for ingredients to make only a teaspoon are included in the post. I hope you give it a try.
Pretty simple recipe, just made this with my mom. Everyone agreed that it was absolutely delicious and my dad called it “restaurant quality” I’ll definitely be using this again.
To make ahead, I’d like to put it in a casserole dish. What size would you suggest? I’ll top with panko and bake right before serving. Thank you.
Anxious to try some of these comfort food recipes. 😀
I hope you enjoy, Carol.
I made your skillet Mac and cheese for dinner tonight and it was outstanding! It’s definitely the best that I have ever made, thanks to you. Your Stonehouse seasoning adds so much to the flavor of the cheese sauce. Also, I want you to know that every recipe that I try of yours is outstanding! Thanks a bunch, Robyn!!!