Coffee Cake makes a wonderful addition to any menu and this simple recipe will become a favorite. Made with just a few ingredients, yet full of flavor.
This coffee cake recipe happened by accident. You see, I fully intended something different and yet, every time I tested it, my family would remark about how much they loved this new version of coffee cake I was making. At some point, you just have to go with the flow and admit that the result was so much better than what you’d planned. Or, at least, I do fairly often. I guess that goes with the territory.
So simple to make, it really has become a go-to recipe around my house when I need a quick coffee cake recipe to take to an event, share with friends and neighbors, or want something special for breakfast or brunch. Just so you know, it happens fairly often around here! But, I’m not really complaining!
Here’s my Simple Coffee Cake recipe. I think you’ll love how simple it really is!
- 4 cups self-rising flour
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 (1/4 ounce) packet yeast
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 2½ cups buttermilk
- 2 cups Salted Caramel Sauce poured over cake and remaining for serving with the cake
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Grease bottom and sides of bundt pan well using a nonstick baking spray or spreading a thin coat of shortening on the bundt pan, dusting with flour and then discarding any excess flour.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 forks.
- Add packet of yeast to small glass bowl. Add warm water and allow yeast to sit for a few minutes.
- Pour buttermilk and yeast mixture into dry ingredients and stir until well combined, but do not over mix.
- Pour batter into prepared bundt pan and bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to sit for about 5 minutes as you prepare the salted caramel sauce.
- Poke holes with a skewer all over the top surface of the cake. Pour Salted Caramel Sauce over coffee cake batter and allow to stand for 10 to 15 minutes to absorb the salted caramel sauce and to cool.
- Carefully invert the bundt pan onto a cake plate or serving dish. Serve coffee cake with additional salted caramel sauce, if desired