When the weather gets cooler, I love to sit by the fire with my family while we watch movies, read or play board games. It seems like we are just cocooned in time with our family of three all cozied up by the fire spending time together. I especially love to bring in a tray of homemade hot chocolate topped with a large dollop of whipped cream and a candy cane for good measure.
We go through quiet a bit of hot chocolate around my house to be perfectly honest. So much so that I turned to Martha Stewart’s recipe for homemade hot chocolate. It makes 92 eight-ounce servings of deliciousness, almost enough to get us through the winter. It makes a wonderful gift for family, friends, teachers, and neighbors over the holidays. One that they’ll definitely use and love. Pair it with a set of mugs and a few candy canes for an extra special touch.
It’s definitely a quick, simple recipe my family loves and we love to share.
Here’s how I make it.
- 3½ cups sugar
- 2¼ cups cocoa
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container.
- Per Serving:
- Heat one cup of whole milk per serving.
- Mix in two tablespoons of hot chocolate mix and stir until dissolved.
- Optional Add-ins:
- Add ½ teaspoon peppermint extract for peppermint hot chocolate.
- Add 1 teaspoon peppermint schnapps for adult peppermint hot chocolate
- Add a pinch cinnamon for Mexican hot chocolate
- Mix with a hot cup of coffee instead of sugar or sugar substitute for a quick, homemade mocha flavored coffee