While southern buttermilk biscuits are the traditional biscuit around my house, sometimes I like to mix it up a little and have something a little different.
Like these bacon cheddar biscuits.
They are absolutely comfort food at it’s best, y’all.
Hot and fresh from the oven with bites of smokey bacon and melted cheese.
It just doesn’t get much better.
You could absolutely get by without having anything else for breakfast when you make these. Everything is right there in that one wonderful little biscuit.
And if your family is in a rush in the mornings, just hand them one of these bacon cheddar biscuits wrapped in parchment paper or a napkin and they’ll have a delicious homemade meal for on the go!
Bacon Cheddar Biscuits Recipe
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Cut shortening and very cold butter into dry ingredients of flour, salt and sugar.
- Add in bacon pieces and cheddar cheese.
- Slowly pour milks and water into your dry ingredients.
- Mix lightly.
- Pour dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently pat into a round disc about 1/2 inch thick. Cut dough with a sharp metal or glass cutter.
- Place into hot oven and bake for 10-12 minutes.
I love to make up a few batches of these biscuits at a time and keep them in the freezer for times when I’m rushed and need a meal quickly.
To freeze them, simply prepare them through step 6 of the step by step instructions above. Then place them on a cookie sheet and into the freezer for approximately 30 minutes. Remove from the freezer and place them into a zip top bag.
Mark on bag the date you prepared them. It’s also a great idea to note the baking instructions in case other members of the family want to surprise you with a hot breakfast one morning.