This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Chewy Molasses Ginger Cookies instantly make your house smell out of this world delicious and like the Christmas fairies have visited.
And the taste? Oh my goodness, these ginger molasses cookies are out of this world delicious and a must-make Christmas cookie around here.
Which by the way, is perfect timing since my kitchen is hopping this week with all the Christmas baking I’ve been doing. Cookies, cakes, cinnamon rolls, and candies are all in the process of baking and cooking.
I’ll wrap up trays and baskets to share as presents for the holiday as well as when folks drop by over Christmas weekend. It’s a tradition at Christmas to take baked goods beginning early in December to share with family, friends, and so many special people in our lives. When I was young, my Grandmother would bake goodies and then deliver them to church friends, family, and neighbors throughout December. I always loved how great it felt as a young girl helping her to wrap up cookies, pies and cakes and make those deliveries each year and knew I wanted to do the same when I was older.
And when I do, these ginger molasses cookies are always a favorite.
Here’s my Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies. You’ll love ’em.
Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar for rolling
- Cream together butter, sugars, and eggs until smooth and creamy.
- Pour in molasses and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Mix together all dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Slowly add dry ingredients into mixer and mix together until just combined.
- Cover mixing bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for an hour to chill or in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and scoop walnut sized balls of dough and roll into smooth balls.
- Then, roll in the granulated sugar and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet leaving about 3 inches between cookies.
- Chill for 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.