Chocolate Cookies with Cream Filling make a delicious cookie recipe the whole family will love. So easy to prepare and a great homemade treat!
There’s just something about chocolate cookies with a cream filling.
For some time now, every time we go to the grocery store, Sam makes sure to head up the cookie aisle and snag a package of Oreos and stuffs them into the grocery buggy (also known as cart in most parts of the world, but loving referred to as a buggy around my neck of the woods!) while I’m looking the other direction.
It all started when he was a little fella and as we were walking down the aisle, he picked up four packages at once and in the loudest voice he could manage said, “Mama, I think we need more Oreos.”
When I told him we didn’t need any and started to put them back on the shelf, he slyly grabbed another package from the display on the other side of the aisle and put it on the bottom rack.
I always know that if he’s with me at the store, there will definitely be Oreos in my buggy at the time we checkout.
Before our trip to Daytona recently, I made the trip to the grocery store solo.
Let me just stop right there.
Parents, isn’t it the most amazing thing in the world to go to the grocery store by yourself every once in a while? I mean, just being able to actually spend time in the produce section without hearing, “Come on, Mama.” or “Aren’t you ready, Mama?” or “I’ll push the buggy, I make it go faster.”
Yeah, you get the picture.
Looking over the lemons is a little more leisurely without a teenager on your heels.
On the other hand, as soon as I think about enjoying that 30 minute stroll through the supermarket, I start feeling that Mom Guilt. You know the thoughts of, “Oh my goodness, he’s 13, in five more years he’ll be buying groceries at college….”
Which leads to, “I hope he’ll eat right while he’s away at college….” and “Maybe I need to step up my game of teaching him to cook more. Yes, that’s it. He’s going to cook all of our meals for the next week!!!”
Poor kid. He doesn’t stand a chance.
But, back to the point.
Before our trip to Daytona recently, I made the trip to the grocery store solo. After my panic attack in the produce section and resolve to make sure that Sam was a proficient cook before he hits high school, I forgot something.
How in the world?!
As I unpackaged and put away the groceries at home, I realized what I’d forgotten and decided I’d start those cooking lessons with a homemade chocolate cookie with cream filling.
I was still dealing with all that Mom guilt after all.
Here’s my recipe for our Chocolate Cookies with Cream Filling. I hope you love them as much as we do!
Chocolate Cookies with Cream Filling Recipe
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup marshmallow cream
- 1 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon milk
- Line baking sheet pans with parchment paper or silicon baking mats.
- Cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add in eggs, one at a time, and then vanilla. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Slowly incorporate flour into butter and sugar mixture, making sure to mix well as combined, taking care not to overmix as it causes tough cookies.
- Scoop the dough into teaspoon-size amounts, roll into a ball in the palm of your hand, place onto the prepared baking pan and press flat with the palm of your hand.
- Alternately, place a piece of parchment paper on the countertop. Divide cookie dough in half and place half at a time on the parchment paper and roll to desired thickness. Cut cookies with small round cutters, working dough back together and rolling and cutting until all dough has been used and placed onto prepared baking sheets(photographed method).
- Preheat oven to 350º F as cookie dough is in the freezer. Transfer baking sheets straight from the freezer to the oven for baking. Bake cookies 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before adding cream filling.
- While the cookies are baking, prepare the cream filling. Cream together all of the ingredients for the cream filling recipe. Set aside until the chocolate cookies have completely cooled.
- Scoop 1 teaspoon of cream filling and place on top of the flattened side of one cookie. Place another cookie on top of the cream filling.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.