This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
When the days are cooler, I start thinking of heartier meals for supper. The other night, I threw together this one pan chicken with thyme biscuits dish. Oh my gracious was it amazing.
Even my pickiest little eater tried it without it throwing his nose completely out of joint. I’m thinking it had something to do with the biscuits. Biscuits are always a good thing in his book and I’ve learned that making them is a great way to get him to try new things.
In making this dish, I decided to chop the chicken to reduce the cooking time. Of course, if you plan ahead better than I did that day, you could easily just use the whole chicken breast in this recipe. It will just increase your cooking time to make sure the chicken breast is cooked through.
Making this chicken dish in one pan, or skillet in my case, is so easy. Once the chicken and vegetables have cooked, you push them to the sides of the skillet as you make the ‘gravy’ for the dish. Then you layer on the thyme biscuits and pop the skillet in the oven to bake your biscuits and marry all the flavors together.
You can serve this with additional cooked vegetables on the side if you like, or even ladle it into shallow bowls as a very chunky soup type dish.
Anything really goes.
But one thing that I added to the top of my biscuits just to dress them up a tad was a touch of thyme. I’m sort of a nerd.
Here’s my one pan chicken with thyme biscuits recipe. I hope you love it, too!
One Pan Chicken with Thyme Biscuits Recipe
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the Thyme Biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme + 6 pieces optional
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter cut into pieces
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Drizzle olive oil into skillet over medium heat. Add chopped chicken and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add onion, celery, and garlic; cook until onion has become translucent, about 3 minutes. Move chicken and vegetable mixture to the side of the skillet.
- Add butter to the skillet and melt. Sprinkle flour into the melted butter, 2 tablespoons at a time, stirring. Add 2 cups chicken broth to the flour mixture, stirring until thickened. Add heavy cream, continuing to stir. Stir in with chicken and vegetables. Add thyme and salt and pepper, to taste.
- For the Thyme Biscuits:
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and black pepper in a medium bowl. Stir milk into flour mixture just until combined. Pour onto a floured surface, sprinkle thyme onto dough and lightly knead together. Using a 2-inch biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits. Gather together any scraps and cut biscuits until all dough has been used. Place all biscuits on top of chicken in the skillet, leaving about 1 inch between each biscuit. Top each biscuit with a piece of thyme (optional) and a piece of butter.
- Place skillet into preheated oven and bake 20-25 minutes until biscuits have turned lightly brown.
- Serve warm.
Did you make this recipe?
Mention @addapinch or tag #addapinch!
Share it with the world!
This looks so comforting, perfect for a cool evening
This looks wonderful! My son would love it! I can’t wait to make it!
Made it last night and everyone thoroughly enjoyed it!
I’m so glad everyone loved it, Kerry! It is definitely a favorite comfort food of ours now!
These look like the perfect weeknight meal.
This was delightful! My husband and I very much enjoyed it. The only addition I made was to add some chopped zucchini to the chicken mixture before putting the biscuits on top, and it worked really nicely. Thanks for sharing this one!
I’m so glad you enjoyed it! Great idea with the zucchini. I’ll have to try that next time, too!
Found this on Pinterest, and made last night. It was delicious! I only used 3 chicken breasts (that’s what was in th package), added a bag of partially thawed frozen veggies with the cream, beefed up on the gravy components, and simmered for a while to get everything thickened up. My four year old loves helping me make the biscuits!
What a great idea to add in veggies, Julia. So glad your family loved it. What a wonderful memory you are making of making biscuits together, too!
Wow, I stuck to the recipe, and it was over-the-top delicious ~ going into my favorite rotations folder! Next time, I’m going to reduce the number of breasts and add mushrooms, carrots and peas to save a little money and up the veg factor. I think mushrooms are going to be quite at home in that sauce. Thanks so much — hubs and I are so happy to have found your site!