Salted Caramel Thumbprints Cookies make the perfect cookie for the second day of our 12 Days of Christmas Cookies series. Don’t ya think?
Let me tell you, these little thumbprint cookies are absolutely the most amazing little Christmas cookie. They do take a little bit of effort, but they are so very much worth it.
The recipe makes about 100 little thumbprint cookies, just the right amount for serving when guests drop by for entertaining or giving as gifts while still having a few for yourself. Believe me, they are addictive, so you’ll definitely want to be sure you have a few extra.
While I topped each of my thumbprint cookies with my homemade caramel sauce that I’d chilled, you can also just cut one of those cute little caramels you buy in the bags in half and top each of the cookies while baking. The caramel will be a bit chewier than my homemade caramel sauce I use in the cookies, but it does save a little bit of time.
But, if you are like me and prefer using the homemade caramel sauce, I’d suggest that you make it in advance and store it in the refrigerator. Then, once your cookies are freshly baked, just scoop little bits of the chilled caramel into the thumbprint portion and allow it to melt from the heat of the thumbprints cookie.
Then, once they’ve cooled a bit, just sprinkle them a little bit of Kosher or sea salt and enjoy.
Here’s my Salted Caramel Thumbprints Cookies recipe. I think you’ll love it as much as we do!
Salted Caramel Thumbprints Cookies Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine butter and sugar until creamy. Add in vanilla and egg until well-incorporated and then slowly add flour, baking powder, and salt. Shape dough into a ball. Cut into fourths and wrap each section tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.
- Scoop 1 teaspoon of dough and then roll in between the palms of your hands until a ball, about the size of a walnut, has formed. Drop onto a cookie sheet. Press your thumb into the center of the dough ball to form a slight well. Repeat until all dough has been used.
- Place sheet pans in the freezer for about 12 minutes to firm to prevent spreading during baking.
- Bake for about 12-15 minutes until brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slighty.
- Scoop ½ teaspoon of chilled caramel sauce to fill the center of the cookie.
- Store in an airtight container.