Few recipes come together as quickly as shrimp and grits. I generally have all of these ingredients on hand in my pantry or in my freezer and within minutes, we have a hot, delicious dish that rivals any I’ve enjoyed at a restaurant.
As a matter of fact, these shrimp and grits come together so quickly, I sometimes serve them for lunch if we’ve been stuck in a “what’s for lunch?” rut. Do you ever get into one of those ruts? Well, this recipe will surely get you right out of it!
Here’s how I make my Shrimp and Grits recipe.
Shrimp and Grits Recipe
- 1 pound shrimp
- 10 slices of bacon chopped
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 cups grits
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Chop bacon and cook on medium heat until browned. Add in chopped onion and cook until tender. Remove from skillet. Boil 4 cups water and add grits.
- Cook about 5 minutes on medium, add in half and half, butter, and shredded cheese. Remove from heat and cover.
- Add shrimp to skillet used to cook bacon and onions. Cook 3 minutes on one side and then turn. Add bacon and onion mixture back to the skillet and add in minced garlic. Cook 3 additional minutes.