Slow Cooker Chicken Chunky Vegetable Soup Recipe
Slow Cooker Chicken Chunky Vegetable Soup is great for a comforting meal that requires just a little bit of attention up front. It reminds me a bit of Coq au Vin, but without the red or white wine. Full of chunky vegetables, tender chicken, and a rich broth, it could easily be called a stew or even just be served on a pile of noodles or mashed potatoes if you didn’t want to go the whole soup route.
I love versatile meals like that, don’t you?
You can switch up how it is served and it’s like you’ve made a whole new dish.
I love that the rich flavors really shine from everything being browned before placed into the insert of the slow cooker to finish off.
And, here’s a little tip for you that my Mama used to do. Prep everything the night before and place into the insert. Then, cover the insert and place in the refrigerator overnight. The next morning, pull it out and allow it reach room temperature (about 30 minutes) and then put into your slow cooker and start the cooking process.
It’s a definite time-saver on those busy, busy mornings.
Here’s my recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Chunky Vegetable Soup.
Slow Cooker Chunky Chicken Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 4 slice bacon diced
- 6-8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 cups button mushroom cut into fourths
- 4 stalks celery cut into 1" pieces
- 4 carrots cut into 1/2' pieces
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Cook bacon pieces in a large skillet over medium-low heat until just crisp. Remove from skillet and set aside for later use. Leave bacon drippings in the skillet. Add chicken thighs to the skillet and brown on each side. Remove from skillet and set aside on a plate for later use. Add onions, garlic, mushrooms, celery, and carrots to the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes to lightly brown. Add a drizzle of olive oil if needed. Remove from skillet and add to the insert of the slow cooker.
- Add chicken thighs to the slow cooker insert on top of the vegetables. Sprinkle with the bacon pieces.
- Pour in the chicken stock and add the thyme.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3.
Cooking time includes browning of recipe contents prior to cooking in slow cooker as well as slow cooking on low for 6 hours.
All images and text © Robyn Stone for Add a Pinch
I hope you enjoy this as much as we do.