This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Slow Cooker Chicken Chunky Vegetable Soup is great for a comforting meal that requires just a little bit of attention up front. It reminds me a bit of Coq au Vin, but without the red or white wine. Full of chunky vegetables, tender chicken, and a rich broth, it could easily be called a stew or even just be served on a pile of noodles or mashed potatoes if you didn’t want to go the whole soup route.
I love versatile meals like that, don’t you?
You can switch up how it is served and it’s like you’ve made a whole new dish.
I love that the rich flavors really shine from everything being browned before placed into the insert of the slow cooker to finish off.
And, here’s a little tip for you that my Mama used to do. Prep everything the night before and place into the insert. Then, cover the insert and place in the refrigerator overnight. The next morning, pull it out and allow it reach room temperature (about 30 minutes) and then put into your slow cooker and start the cooking process.
It’s a definite time-saver on those busy, busy mornings.
Here’s my recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Chunky Vegetable Soup.
Slow Cooker Chunky Chicken Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 4 slices bacon diced
- (6-8) boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 cups button mushrooms cut into fourths
- 4 stalks celery cut into 1″ pieces
- 4 carrots cut into 1/2′ pieces
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Cook bacon pieces in a large skillet over medium-low heat until just crisp. Remove from skillet and set aside for later use. Leave bacon drippings in the skillet. Add chicken thighs to the skillet and brown on each side. Remove from skillet and set aside on a plate for later use. Add onions, garlic, mushrooms, celery, and carrots to the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes to lightly brown. Add a drizzle of olive oil if needed. Remove from skillet and add to the insert of the slow cooker.
- Add chicken thighs to the slow cooker insert on top of the vegetables. Sprinkle with the bacon pieces.
- Pour in the chicken stock and add the thyme.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3 hours.
Did you make this recipe?
Mention @addapinch or tag #addapinch!
Share it with the world!
I hope you enjoy this as much as we do.
This looks absolutely PERFECT for the cooler weather. My boys would love it!!
You had me at bacon.
THis looks fab- another to add to the list for those busy nights where we have sports and don’t get home until too late to make dinner!
I love days where I can just pull the Crock Pot insert out of the fridge, throw it on, and come home to a fully cooked dinner! Best. Invention. Ever.
I am yearning for fall foods (and sweaters & jeans), so this is really calling my name right now. What a fantastic recipe, Robyn!
Perfect for the cooler days ahead!
Mmmm! Comfort food…perfect for fall!
Yup, looks as delicious as it sounds! Printed for winter! 🙂
Beautiful photo! This sounds so good….love your mama’s tip! Will be making this for a fall meal. Thanks for a great recipe.
ahhhhh….this looks so warm and cozy for the fall days that will soon be coming. And I love slow cooker dinners with your mama’s tip!
It’s almost fall…time for the slow cooker!!!
This on buttered noodles would be yummy!
Nothing better on a cool and rainy day than a hearty soup! It’s like a hug from your Mama.
This looks so delicious and comforting!
This is some great comfort food! Perfect for busy weeknights!
Yum and yum! I absolutely adore recipes like this. I really think I may run to the market so I can make this, this week.
Just got this started in my slow cooker!
I cant wait to try it later looks very yummy and already smells amazing.
What can I add to replace celery??
Made this last week and served it with Orecchiette. Was a huge hit with the family hearty, healthy and tasty.
So glad you enjoyed it, David! Thanks so much!