Sweet pumpkin biscuits make a great addition with a cup of coffee at brunch or as a dessert. These pumpkin biscuits are perfect for fall!
I am about to share with you the recipe for pumpkin biscuits that I think you are going to absolutely love. Seriously. As I started dreaming up this recipe, I knew that each and every bite should be filled with so many of the flavors I love for fall – pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, brown sugar – while still being true to a biscuit texture. You guys, the more I thought of this biscuit recipe, the more excited I became. I knew it just had to be!
It is absolutely perfect with a warm cup of coffee in the mornings for breakfast or a brunch and is just as delicious as a not so heavy dessert. Similar in appearance to a traditional southern sweet potato biscuit, these sweet pumpkin biscuits couldn’t be simpler.
I begin by using self-rising flour. I then cut the shortening into my flour using a pastry blender, two knives or a fork, and then add my pumpkin puree, brown sugar and spices.
Once I have the biscuit dough combined, I pour it out onto a lightly floured paper towel. The purpose of the lightly floured paper towel is to allow the dough to pick up just the right amount of flour, and not too much, as it is folded and cut for baking.
To cut biscuits, you’ll want to make sure and use a sharp glass or metal cutter that does not have a rolled edge to result in a biscuit that will rise well. Other types of cutter simply crimp the edges of the biscuit dough together not allowing it to rise as high when baking. Additionally, when cutting, you’ll want to make sure to cut straight down on the biscuit dough and not twist as you cut the dough. Again, these little things make for higher rising biscuits every time.
I then place the biscuits on a prepared baking sheet and into a preheated oven for about 12 minutes. Once they have baked, I brush them with melted butter and sprinkle them with coarse sugar. The sugar sprinkle on top is completely optional, but serves as a great notice to everyone that the pumpkin biscuits are sweet and not savory.
Here’s my recipe for Sweet Pumpkin Biscuits. Make them soon!
Sweet Pumpkin Biscuits Recipe
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons butter melted
- coarse sugar for topping optional
- Preheat oven to 475º F. Prepare a large baking sheet with a piece of parchment or a silicon baking mat. Set aside.
- Add flour and shortening to a large bowl. Cut shortening into the flour using a pastry blender, two knives or a fork until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add milk, pumpkin, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice to the flour mixture. Stir together until well-combined. Pour onto a floured paper towel or pastry cloth. Lightly flour your hands and carefully fold one edge over on top of the dough, repeating until all edges have been folded over. Lightly flour a rolling pin and cut your biscuits into large squares or use a round biscuit cutter. Place biscuits onto the prepared pan and bake for 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush with melted butter and sprinkle with coarse sugar for decoration.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Can i use regular flour or does it have to be self riseing flour.also how much soda or baking power .
These biscuits are just the thing to get me in the mood for fall baking!
My mom always makes me sweet potato biscuits, but I’ve never had pumpkin. They look delish!
pumpkin biscuits is like a match made in heaven Robin!!